What is the fastest way to determine the OS of the SUT?

What is the fastest way to determine the OS of the SUT? It seems to me there should be a set of system properties, but I can’t find a reference to them anywhere.

Thanks.
-dave

I want to do something like this:

If system.OS = “windows” Then…
Else
If system.OS = “OSX” Then…

That would be a lot faster than searching for the start button or the Apple icon.

Searching for the Apple icon (or the Windows Start menu) is the recommended way to do this. The search really doesn’t take very long, and only needs to be done once at the beginning of your script if you then set a global variable based on what you find (you can even call it system if you like ;-)):

global system
if imageFound("AppleIcon") then set system.OS to "OSX"
else if imageFound("StartMenu") then set system.OS to "Windows"
else set system.OS to "Unknown"

Thanks Doug… I’ll try the code you posted.
-dave

Hi again Doug,
I tried something like this using universal variables but, was unable to access the variable from other scripts in the other suites or scripts within the same suite.

Am I required to set the evaluationContext to “universal” in each script, or should this be handled simply by declaring the variables as universal? Or should I use properties as you suggested above to avoid this problem?

so currently the script Main says

universal SUTOS, .. blah blah

if blah blah 
then put "OSX" into SUTOS

if blah blah blah
then put "Windows" into SUTOS

and the script DoSomeThing in the same suite says…

if SUTOS is "OSX"
then blah

if SUTOS is "Windows" 
then blah

But, the value of SUTOS is not being passed to the script DoSomeThing. Can you help me out here?

Thanks.
-dave

You need to declare universal (or global) variables in each script or handler where you use them. So your second script should look like this:

universal SUTOS

if SUTOS is "OSX" 
then blah 

if SUTOS is "Windows" 
then blah 

or else like this:

if universal SUTOS is "OSX" 
then blah 

if universal SUTOS is "Windows" 
then blah 

(The evaluationContext is a rather obscure global property that only affects the way undeclared variables are interpreted within a do or send command or a merge function. It is very rarely used, and not relevant in this case.)