Vine Viewer Recording length

Dear Testplant:

I recently installed Vine Viewer 3.1 on a Mac running 10.4.11 OS.

I’d like to extend the length of time that Quicktime movies can be recorded for. Currently movies stop recording after 15 minutes. Is there a way to record for an unlimited length of time or to at least make it much longer than 15 minutes?

Sincerely,
Rick

Yes there is!

Right now Vine records large uncompressed movies, this is the reason for the movie length limit. They can easily be compressed using tools like QuicktimePro, etc.

To extend the maximum movie time you need to issue this command in the terminal:

defaults write com.redstonesoftware.Vine MaximumMovieTime 900

Where 900 is the time in seconds (15 minutes) by default.

Dear Johnathon:

Thanks for your reply. In order to implement the change that you’ve suggested, do I simply open the terminal app and insert the code that you’ve provided (with adjusted length) and hit enter? Or do I have to open a particular file within the terminal app and then make the change?

Also, once the change is implemented in the manner that you’ve suggested will it stay in effect every time my system is opened or does it has to constantly be inserted with every boot-up of my system?

Sincerely,
Rick

In a terminal window paste that line (with modified time) and hit enter. If you did it right you wont get a response (other than another command prompt). You can verify the new setting with:

defaults read com.redstonesoftware.Vine MaximumMovieTime

It will remain in effect permanently for that USER (through reboots), you might need to restart Vine after issuing it.

Dear Johnathon:

Thanks for your quick response. That’s exactly what I needed to know! I really appreciate your help with this and will look forward to any future modifications that you might make to the program that would allow the Quicktime movies to automatically compress when generated.

Have a great weekend.

Rick