Vine Server and Leopard keyboard input hangs

I am using VineServer3.0 on Leopard.

When I connect with either of VNC Viewer or CotVNC clients, all graphics and mouse operations are fine. But once in a while, keyboard input hangs. Once this happens, the only way to get the keyboard input working again is to restart the server.

Any other reports of this?

EDIT: In the time I spent registering for this forum and writing the post, something has “cleared” in the client/server keyboard comms and I was able to use the keyboard on the server via CotVNC once more. So the problem is intermittent and eventually clears itself. Are there any logs I can look at to possibly find out more?

This problem never happened in Tiger when using OSXVNC. I googled for keyboard probs on Leopard, and yup, there seem to be lots. Apple have rewritten the keyboard drivers (why do they do this!?!?) and introduced some bugs.

Yeah Leopard has had quite a few reported (and mostly fixed) keyboard probs; for other users experiencing this issue please make sure that you have applied ALL APPLE updates to your systems. If you continue to experience a problem you can post here.

No more problems with keyboard since I upgraded Leopard on the client side. The problems seemed related to losing keyboard input for a time after hitting COMMAND+another key. Seems fine now.

As for all the other bugs Apple introduced into Leopard … that’s a whinge for another forum. All I can say is grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

cheers!

No more problems with keyboard since I upgraded Leopard on the client side.[/quote]

Sorry I took so long to get back to this forum.

I was wrong in the above statement, In fact I have isolated and identified the exact problem.

Server: VineServer3.0 on Mac OS X Leopard
Client: Chicken of the VNC 2.0b4 on Mac OS X Leopard

The problem: all keyboard functions / keys / key combos work fine on start up. Once the CMD-Tab combo is used to switch apps, the keyboard might fall silent and refuse to respond in the client.

Work-around: each time this happens (intermittent) a restart of the Vine server clears the situation.

thanks.

Here’s a quick thought: Maybe when you type Command-Tab the commandKey-down event is sent through to the server first, then OS X intercepts the rest of those key events as part of doing its app switching. If so, then the server may have ONLY received the commandKey-down without a corresponding key-up. If so, you might try pressing and releasing the Command key to see if that resets things to a better state.

I’m using VineServer3.0 on Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.6.

I’m accessing the server from a PC running XP. Lately this is what happens: I connect, I can control the Leopard machine with my PC’s mouse but as soon as I hit a key, it hangs. If I initiate a new connection, the mouse works again but pressing a key will hang cause a hang. Or I can wait several minutes to regain mouse control of the server but I’m still faced with not being able to use the keyboard.

I’ve tried RealVNC and UltraVNC clients but get the same results. Both worked before and I don’t remember changing any Vine Server preferences so I’m suspecting something got changed in Leopard during a recent update.

Has anyone got any ideas on what might be causing this? Thanks.

Vine Server 3.1b2 fixed a lot of problems. Have you tried that?

It works fine for me with:

Keyboard layout: US
Keyboard Events: Smart Event Management
Disable remote control of keyboard and mouse: Unchecked

I turned off the System Server and restarted Vine Server. Somehow it got launched without me knowing it.

I’m assuming the System Server refers to Leopard’s own VNC server?

Anyway, I connected again but then had another problem. In Mail’s in box if I click on the bottom mail item, the entire list above it also gets highlighted, as if I had clicked the top item and then the bottom with a shift-click.

I got around that by tapping the ALT key once on my PC. Now I can highlight individual mail items.

I was going to test the keyboard input but work was hectic.

I haven’t tried 3.1b2 yet. BTW where is the download link for that build? Thanks.

The System Server is actually a configuration of Vine Server that allows access while the login panel is up. It’s different than the Apple “Screen Sharing”.

The announcement post for Vine Server Beta is listed first in the forum.

[quote=“alembic”]I’m using VineServer3.0 on Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.6.

I’m accessing the server from a PC running XP. Lately this is what happens: I connect, I can control the Leopard machine with my PC’s mouse but as soon as I hit a key, it hangs. If I initiate a new connection, the mouse works again but pressing a key will hang cause a hang. Or I can wait several minutes to regain mouse control of the server but I’m still faced with not being able to use the keyboard.

I’ve tried RealVNC and UltraVNC clients but get the same results. Both worked before and I don’t remember changing any Vine Server preferences so I’m suspecting something got changed in Leopard during a recent update.

Has anyone got any ideas on what might be causing this? Thanks.[/quote]

Exact same problem. Jaadu VNC and Mocha VNC clients on iPhone. Vine server 3.0 and 3.1b2, using the system server. I have this problem on both. As soon as I try to use the KB, it hangs.

Perhaps it is associated with the local/remote cursor handling issue:

http://www.testplant.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1112

Also, I’ve had some keyboard problems with Mocha VNC to Vine server, CAPS not being sent, for example (which can be problematic with case sensitive passwords). I’ve found Virtual Keyboard helps:

http://www.testplant.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1202

Hey, thx for the reply. I actually use Jaadu more, which recommends Vine. Mac OSX has a on screen display keyboard built in thats JUST like that one you linked too, except free.

Its kinda tricky to get to though. Some poking around on the apple discussion forums should help u find it.

However, I would like to be able to use the keyboard on my iphone, since i use a big display 2560x1600 and scrolling back and forth to the virtual kb is a pain.

I really wanna figure out these lock ups. The screen display locks up AND the typign locks up as soon as I try to type.

My logs arent really showing much. In my console messages I get a couple things that might provide answers?

I just installed 3.1b2 (1022) and my keyboard input hangs have gone away. I’ll post an update if I have problems again.

I have tried the beta. it worked for a little while, but for some reasons, as soon as I start my computer, the keyboard input problem happens again. Screen display is fine, but if I click one key on the keyboard, bam. no workie. I use system server btw.

What are you settings under Preferences->Device->Keyboard? You might try different settings and see if that has any impact.

http://blake.comoj.com/images/vnc_troubleshooting/Picture%201.jpg

http://blake.comoj.com/images/vnc_troubleshooting/Picture%202.jpg

are there settings I should change? I dont really understand the layout and event options