Vine - does it support dual monitors?

older vnc clients i used to use (osxvnc paired with chicken of the vnc) would not support dual monitors on my macs. does vine?

At this time Vine Server 2.1 (for Mac OS X) does not support multiple monitors. It’s on our list as a future enhancement.

Vine Viewer does support servers that offer multiple monitor support that come as either a consolidated image/screen or that allow you to connect on different ports for different displays. These are the only two ways that I’m aware of multiple monitor support being offered by VNC.

bump - has vine been updated to work with multiple displays yet? I would not mind connecting to 2 ports for the 2 different screens, but whatever way vine would support it, I need to access both my displays.

thanks,
PressingOnAlways

i’ve moved on to leopard’s built-in screen sharing, which does support dual monitors very nicely.

hmmm… i’m still on tiger…

Appreciate the bump – and it is still on our list of potential enhancements but at the moment we haven’t put any resources into multiple monitors.

You can get a second monitor running against another monitor for VIEW ONLY using the -displayNumber flag, but you will only be able view (not edit) that screen.

Excuse me for bumping this old thread but I really need advice on this.

The latest remark by Jonathan really interests me because this is exactly what I want. I am running Vine on a Mac Mini which has 2 displays. I want to access the second display from my iMac on a local network. I only need view mode.

Is this something I can achieve with Vine? I tried using the Display Number but I guess this only changes the port? Can I use the -displayNumber flag in another way?

Unfortunately dual monitor support is still not really supported.

What about your last remark in the previous post?
There is no way to get a view of a second monitor?

If you specify -displayNumber X then it will try to use other display’s, that hasn’t been tested on Lion and it may fail completely in Vine 4 beta, but you are welcome to try it.

That -displayNumber corresponds to the display where 0 is primary and the others are numbered sequentially.

Too bad, doesn’t seem to work.
I can’t believe that I cannot find a crossplatform (for the client side) VNC solution where I can access a second monitor using OSX authentication (or bypass the Lion login screen).

[quote=“JonathanOSX”]If you specify -displayNumber X then it will try to use other display’s, that hasn’t been tested on Lion and it may fail completely in Vine 4 beta, but you are welcome to try it.

That -displayNumber corresponds to the display where 0 is primary and the others are numbered sequentially.[/quote]

I have 4 HD Screens connected to my mac. I’m trying to use VINE VNC to control them.

I used the -displaynumber 3 option and it’s still only displaying the first screen.

Here’s what I see in ps:

/Library/Application Support/VineServer/OSXvnc-server -rfbport 0 -desktop Eng-Server-QuadTV-Mac-Pro -rfbauth /Library/Application Support/VineServer/.vinevncauth -systemserver 1 -restartonuserswitch N -unicodekeyboard 0 -keyboardloading n -pressmodsforkeys n -eventtap 3 -eventsource 2 -swapbuttons -rendezvous y -displaynumber 3

How do I make Chicken of the VNC (client) and Vine see and use all 4 screens?

Unfortunately Vine Server just doesn’t really support multiple screens at this time.