TypeText not working in RHEL 8.8 GUI

We recently moved from RHEL 8.4 CLI to RHEL8.8 GUI Terminal interface. In doing so my TypeText commands have stopped typing the correct characters i.e. if I type “A” I might get “a” or “(” will get “9”. It does not happen consistently the same all the time. The following snipet of code fails to type the correct values.

set tempWord to “echo ‘Hello World’ | grep ‘Hello’;s=$(echo ‘Hello World’ | grep -c ‘Hello’);[[ $s -gt 0 ]] && echo ’ CONNECTION’‘FOUND’ || echo ’ NOT’‘FOUND’”

MyTypeText tempWord

to handle MyTypeText
params ToType
set characterSet to <<!@#$%^&*()_+QWERTYUIOP{}|}ASDFGHJKL:"ZXCVBNM<>?>>

set localKeyDownDelay to 0.3 -- try different values here
set localNextKeyDelay to 0.1

repeat with charItem = each char of ToType
	wait localNextKeyDelay
	if characterSet contains charItem considering case
		typeText ShiftKey, charItem
	else
		typeText charItem
	end if
	//typetext theKey -- press the key
	wait localKeyDownDelay
end repeat

end MyTypeText

After more testing, it appears that I get more consistency by changing my delay tactics to nextKeyDelay. With this value set to .05 it failed about 60% of the time. At .08 seems to be working 100% of the time, but test set is still small.

To speed up this script I have minimized the number of characters that need a “shiftKey” in front of them and I have grouped them so that the typeText can type them faster. Lastest iteration of the script.

set printWord to ""

set nKD to getOption (nextKeyDelay)
//	setOption nextKeyDelay, .05
put each character of "echo 'Hello World' | grep 'Hello';s=$(echo 'Hello World' | grep -c 'Hello');[[ $s -gt 0 ]] && echo ' connection''found' || echo ' not''found'" into tempCharSet
set characterSet to <<!@#$%^&*()_+QWERTYUIOP{}|}ASDFGHJKL:"ZXCVBNM<>?>>

repeat for each charItem of tempCharSet 
	if characterSet contains charItem considering case
		setOption nextKeyDelay, nKD
		TypeText printWord
		setOption nextKeyDelay, .08
		TypeText ShiftKey, charItem
		set printWord to ""		
	else
		put charItem after printWord
	end if
end repeat