TIG + non-standard unicode characters

Hey guys, we are trying to automate putty via eggPlant. Probably not the best use of the tool but I digress.

What I’m having trouble with is matching the current input line that looks like this…

administrator@eggPlant-Demo:~$ █

It’s fairly trivial to match the first bit but I cannot get the the TIG to create the cursor box. (I’m using the TIG as we wish to be able to change the user and host at run time)

What I get back from the TIG (according to the test log) is

administrator@eggPlant-Demo:~$ ?

So I’m assuming something isn’t liking the unicode character.

For completeness, I have eggPlant running on an Ubuntu VM, SUT is a seperate winXP machine and the TIG is running on the VM host (winXP).

Is there anyway to pass this symbol through to the TIG? or conversely can we generate a Text Image with the username/host and concatinate a standard image to it?

Thanks
Owen

Matching that character is likely to be a bit tricky. But I don’t think you actually want to. I expect it will be enough just to look for the first part and possibly use a relative hot spot if you are actually clicking near the command line.

Strictly speaking “concatenating” two images isn’t directly supported in Eggplant but you CAN search for the first image and then constrain the searchRectangle (see Eggplant Reference) and search in a narrow band for the second image. That would also give you what you are looking for.

If it is truly necessary to generate the character with the TIG (I agree with Jonathan’s point about simply using an image instead), you could try SenseTalk’s numToChar capability:

"administrator@eggPlant-Demo:~$" && numToChar(9608)

This should result in the TIG creating the block character █ correctly.

However, it appears that it does not work. I’m getting the correct output in the log, but the resulting text image is clearly not right (a horizontal rectangle filled with question marks).

Unless you are specifically altering the text representation within the Putty command line window, the cursor block is unlikely to change appearance. So using an image should work well.

Please be sure to post your TIG-based solution if you get that working.