Text/Console Apps Questions

I’m using eggPlant to test legacy text based application which runs on a Linux box and I’m having a few problems getting started.

1. Function keys: I need ALL the function keys to work but eggplant is trapping them. How do I remap eggplant so these keys work when I press them.
  2. I’m still trying to learn how to do screen text captures so the scripts can evaluate results but it seems to be dependent on the font that’s being used or screen locations. This is running in a Linux gnome terminal window and Linux has different fonts than Windows does. How do I tell which font is being used? Is it just a process of trial and error to find a Windows font that is close enough? When I tried to use CaptureTextImage with coordinates, SenseTalk couldn’t make any sense of it. Am I passing Windows pixel coordinates or console character coords?

If somebody could just point me in the right direction, I’d appreciate it.

Ok - I found the answer to one question - coordinates are pixel coordinates based on my windows screen, not the character location on the Linux console.

For the text capture, I figured if I just do the logical “user” thing, then I would select the text I want to capture, right click, select Copy and then it’s in the Linux clipboard. Paste it into a variable and voila! Instant text capture. If I can figure out what the coodinates are and how to select the text…

EDIT: Best laid plans… works great in Linux as a “user”. I can open gedit and paste my text from the clipboard but when I try to put it into a variable using RemoteClipboard() - nada. Any suggestions?

1. The function keys will be intercepted by the operating system, not by eggPlant. They can all be used in a script. If you need to send a function key to the remote system while in Live Mode, you can use the TypeText command in the Ad Hoc Do Box (AHDB, the text field at the bottom of the Run window). Just enter something like:
TypeText F7

and then hit return or click the Do button.

1. Can you describe the actual task that you’re trying to accomplish? I can try to answer your specific questions, but I’m not sure that you’re using the best approach to the problem, so that might not be the best use of our time.

Ok - I found the answer to one question - coordinates are pixel coordinates based on my windows screen, not the character location on the Linux console.

No. Pixel coordinates are always based on the pixels of the remote screen window.

For the text capture, I figured if I just do the logical “user” thing, then I would select the text I want to capture, right click, select Copy and then it’s in the Linux clipboard. Paste it into a variable and voila! Instant text capture. If I can figure out what the coodinates are and how to select the text…

If the above sequence is scripted, you’re on the right track. Getting values from the clipboard on a Linux system can be tricky, because Linux has more than one clipboard buffer. If you are using Xvnc, you may need to run the vncconfig utility (http://www.realvnc.com/products/free/4.1/man/vncconfig.html) in order to access values on the clipboard.

Please also note that the forums are not a first tier support mechanism; they are intended as a community resource for questions that might be either answered by or of interest to other users. As such there is no guarantee that your posts will receive an immediate response. Licensed users with active support contracts should send questions requiring a timely response to the support e-mail address. This also allows us to appropriately log your query in our support database which is viewable through your Greenhouse account.