Starting desktop servers at bootup

I don’t want to “take control” of the system so System Server doesn’t appear to be the answer. What I would like is for the system to start each users desktop server at boot allowing multiple users to connect to their desktop on the Mac and leave a user logged in at the Mac locally uninterrupted.

Is there a way to have VNC desktop servers for each user started at bootup?

No, that’s not possible. Until the user logs in, there’s no user session to associate the application execution with. There’s no way to start the user sessions in the background.

It is actually possible – but the only way to do it with the built-in Apple resources may be more than what you were looking for.

As EggplantMatt says, you DO need a user session for Vine’s Desktop Server to attach to. So you can get one of those when a user logs in, so you CAN set your system to log in one user on boot-up, that’s just in the standard System Preferences for Accounts. So that user can be set to launch Vine Server (as a desktop app) on log in.

So that’s just the initial user – but, if you want, that user can run a script (also on login) to trigger a Fast User Switch to a second user who can also be configured to launch a desktop Vine server and so on. Your final user can actually also drop all the way back to the Log In Screen (if you want).

Caveats to this approach –
[list]*It really only works if your users don’t have passwords set, otherwise the Fast User Switch script just brings up a password prompt.

• It leaves all your users pre-logged in, that consumes a fair bit of memory and resources
  • It makes your startup process very slow and involved.[/list:u]
    If anyone is interested in this approach I have some scripts that do the fast user switching as an example (it’s just a couple of lines of shell code).
    There are bound to be more sophisticated ways to accomplish this, if anyone else has clever ideas please post them here.

This is more or less what I am looking for. Since I am not so familiar with Mac OS X stuff could you please provide the mentioned shell script ?

could you please send the bash examples?

[quote=“JonathanOSX”]It is actually possible – but the only way to do it with the built-in Apple resources may be more than what you were looking for.

As EggplantMatt says, you DO need a user session for Vine’s Desktop Server to attach to. So you can get one of those when a user logs in, so you CAN set your system to log in one user on boot-up, that’s just in the standard System Preferences for Accounts. So that user can be set to launch Vine Server (as a desktop app) on log in.

So that’s just the initial user – but, if you want, that user can run a script (also on login) to trigger a Fast User Switch to a second user who can also be configured to launch a desktop Vine server and so on. Your final user can actually also drop all the way back to the Log In Screen (if you want).

Caveats to this approach –
[list]*It really only works if your users don’t have passwords set, otherwise the Fast User Switch script just brings up a password prompt.

• It leaves all your users pre-logged in, that consumes a fair bit of memory and resources
  • It makes your startup process very slow and involved.[/list:u]
    If anyone is interested in this approach I have some scripts that do the fast user switching as an example (it’s just a couple of lines of shell code).
    There are bound to be more sophisticated ways to accomplish this, if anyone else has clever ideas please post them here.[/quote]