screen format not supported

I am trying to get Vine Server to work on Leopard 10.5.4 which is running in VMware Workstation 6.5. This is native Leopard install, not a hacked up image. VMware Workstation 6.5 and Fusion 2 Beta’s have support for the native image with a special boot ISO

I tried the most recent beta and I always get the same thing in the log:

screen format not supported

Resolution is 1280x1024x32

When I try to start the server (regular mode) it never works, causing the above error. This occurs if I login as root.

If I switch to system server and start that, it tells me the system server is running but I can never actually connect.

So I assume it’s some kind of issue with the display running from VMware?

That is what it sounds like alright – so just to be clear. Mac OS X is running under VMWare (and the main OS is Windows?).

We don’t often run in that scenario – but we might be able to enhance our format checking to be more compatible with how VMWare is reporting it.

[quote=“JonathanOSX”]That is what it sounds like alright – so just to be clear. Mac OS X is running under VMWare (and the main OS is Windows?).

We don’t often run in that scenario – but we might be able to enhance our format checking to be more compatible with how VMWare is reporting it.[/quote]

You have it correct. OS X Leopard is runnder under VMware Workstation 6.5, which is running on top of Windows Vista.

Is there any info about how OS X sees the video hardware that would be useful for me to get you? Just need to know where to find it.

The following link is a screencap of the system profiler, graphics/display section

http://images.slipoftime.com/osx/osx_vmware_graphics.png

I have exactly the same problem. Any way to get around it?

I’m logged into the OSX GUI with VMWare. I try to start the vine server and I get the “screen format not supported” message…