Possible to start Eggplant without OCR?

Trying to get Eggplant 11 (linux) to start on RHEL4. I realize this is an unsupported platform, but was hoping there might be a command-line option to Eggplant to just disable the new ABBYY OCR engine, which seems to be the source of the seg-faults for me. I’ve poked around with strace but haven’t found the source of the problem yet. Does Eggplant (or ABBYY) generate any log files?

Eggplant 10.3 runs fine on this machine.

Thanks!

-mike

Unfortunately there isn’t a way to disable ABBYY currently, it’s statically linked into the app.

I’m surprised/impressed that you got 10.3 to work on RHEL4, previously we had not been able to run on that platform and it is (as you mentioned) unsupported. I’m curious if you had to do a lot of library upgrades or not.

One thing to try, if you aren’t using Eggplant v11.02 then it certainly won’t work (requirements on libc). But if you haven’t tried with the latest download then you should give that a go and see, because the new 11.02 package does work on RHEL5.

Finally, other than the OCR functionality, 11.02 isn’t a huge step forward. So for the time being running 10.3 is an option. If RHE4 support (with OCR disabled) is critical then it would be helpful to discuss that directly with you – please send an email to support@testplant.com or your account manager).

Thanks for the reply Jonathan. The only major change was that I had to upgrade glibc to 2.4+, I wound up using glibc-2.5 from RHEL5. For the curious, here are my notes for getting Eggplant 10.3 running on RHEL4. I do NOT recommend doing this on a production system, in case things go horribly wrong. Many things depend on glibc and the binutils.

(pre-req) # rpm -ih Eggplant.xxx.rpm
(optional) # yum install gcc wget

cd /usr/local/src

wget http://www.openssl.org/source/openssl-0.9.8r.tar.gz -O - | tar -xzv

cd openssl*

./config shared -fPIC --openssldir=/usr/local

make; make install

echo “/usr/local/lib” >> /etc/ld.so.conf.d/other-openssl.conf

ldconfig

Check for any missing Eggplant dependancies:

ldd /usr/GNUstep/Local/Applications/Eggplant.app/Eggplant

On RHEL4 these can typically all be resolved just by doing:

echo “/usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries” >> /etc/ld.so.conf.d/eggplant.conf

echo “/usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Libraries” >> /etc/ld.so.conf.d/eggplant.conf

ldconfig

Also, Eggplant 10+ requires glibc-2.4+, not available in RHEL4. To install, download these RPMs (possibly using http://rpm.pbone.net and search RHEL5):

glibc-2.5-58.el5_6.4.i386.rpm
glibc-headers-2.5-58.el5_6.4.i386.rpm
glibc-devel-2.5-58.el5_6.4.i386.rpm
glibc-common-2.5-58.el5_6.4.i386.rpm
binutils-2.17.50.0.6-12.el4.rfb.i386.rpm

Then, do the following and hold your breath:

rpm -Uh glibc* binutil*

After that Eggplant 10.3 should come up in X.

Thank very much, yes the glibc requirement is exactly why we do not officially support RHEL4 – and as you said, upgrading that on a production system is not advised.

But I’m glad you are able to run it even as a test.