No Script Selected -- Please open a Script

I wanted to insert an image in a script. Therefore, I choosed the right site on the SUT, changed to ‘capture mode’, selected the spot and tried to name and assign the respective image. The window pops up where eggplant offers me to “Save as”, define the “Search Type” and so on …

BUT above the “Cancel” and “Save”-Buttons, it tells me “No Script Selected – Please open a Script”.

The point is of course I already opened a script, I have no difficulties to run the script and I can add commands etc. to the script and afterwards run it again. But whenever I try to capture and add an image, I am told the above mentioned ERRMSG.

Does anybody have an idea?

Thank you very much,
Michael

Hi, Michael:

The error message you are seeing appears when Eggplant doesn’t know what the current script is. This can happen if you only have the suite window open or if you have several script windows open and you close the top-most one – Eggplant will not know which of the remaining windows to target for new commands. We could have set it up to just default to the next one in the stack, but that would have led to people inadvertently generating new code where they really didn’t want it.

The nice thing is that when you see this message (or during any image capture) you can select the script that you you want to add the code to by clicking on its window, by opening it from the suite, or even by opening one via Eggplant’s “Open…” menu item. You can even change the position at which you want to insert the code. So that you can better appreciate the convenience this offers, I’ll mention that this was not possible in earlier versions of Eggplant, where if you didn’t have a script open or you noticed that the cursor wasn’t where you wanted it, you had to cancel the capture, pick the script or move the cursor and then start the capture again. And remember, you can always just capture the image to the current script and then insert the code into the script manually or via the “Insert…” pulldown on the Script Editor window.

Please let us know if you are actually not able to select a script to save the generated code to and any steps that are required to recreate that scenario. We have not had any other reports of this feature not working.

Regards,
Matt Hicks

Hi Matt,

thank you for the description!
Unfortunately, this occured in different situations. I tried to track down the
reason for the error message.
So, I tried to insert an image

• when several script windows were open
  • when only one script window was open
  • when (in addition) a suite window was open
  • when no suite window was open.

Additionally, to avoid an ‘undefined state’ of the whole thing, I restarted
the MAC and tried it again. Didn’t help either…

I’ll be back in the office at monday and try it again. If it continues to fail
would you please tell me what you need to know for further help?

Thanks & have a nice weekend,
Michael

So are you saying that you’ve never been able to get Eggplant to insert code into a script?(!) Or just that you are occasionally unable to do so?

When you get this message (it’s really meant as more of helpful warning than an error), have you tried clicking in a script window and then returning to the Remote Screen window? This should be all that is required to remove the message and target the generated code to that script.

Are your suites saved in your local home directory, elsewhere on your machine, or on a networked partition? If you’re unable to generate code to a script at all, I would suspect some sort of problem with write permissions. You might ultimately need to delete your current copy of Eggplant and download a new one; maybe something in your installation has been mangled.

I’m in all day today (Sep 3). Enjoy the long weekend.

Ooops, sorry Matt!

My description was not clear enough.

So are you saying that you’ve never been able to get Eggplant to insert code into a script?(!) Or just that you >are occasionally unable to do so?
I am occasionally unable to insert images. I started to work with eggplant months ago and wrote ca. 90
scripts since then. All went fine up to now.

When you get this message (it’s really meant as more of helpful warning than an error), have you tried >clicking in a script window and then returning to the Remote Screen window? This should be all that is >required to remove the message and target the generated code to that script.
Yes, I did - it the way I included images all the time.

Are your suites saved in your local home directory, elsewhere on your machine, or on a networked partition?
Eggplant’s “server root” directory is named EGGPLANT and it is located in my local home directory.

If you’re unable to generate code to a script at all, I would suspect some sort of problem with write >permissions.
I am able to insert code to a script - TypeText “hello world” will work. The scripts will run, but at the
moment it’s impossible to capture / insert images from the SUT.

You might ultimately need to delete your current copy of Eggplant and download a new one;
maybe something in your installation has been mangled.
Do you think this is necessary? The installation worked during the last weeks…
If any kind of misset write permissions are the reaseon wouldn’ it be sufficient to “chmod 777”
eggplants’s server root directory and all directories and files below?
Or is there a kind of permission scheme within an eggplant file-tree
which I can compare?

I copied the whole eggplant directory incl. all sub-dirs several times to
another place on the disc in order to have a backup. I will set one of the
backups ‘in place’ and see what happens. Perhaps a chance to detect influences of misset permissions?!

Enjoy the long weekend.
It’s 1715 at my site (Germany -)

Best regards!

It’s 17:15 at my site (Germany :slight_smile:

I get the “oops” this time. I think I knew where you were writing from once. I didn’t mean to imply that you were cutting out early; most of us in the US have Monday off for the Labor Day holiday.

If this problem just started occurring then I think maybe permissions is the problem, especially given tht you mention having copied the whole directory a couple of times. Not that there’s anything inherently wrong with that, but it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve seen file permissions get mysteriously messed up when things are being copied around.

Yes, you might try just the chmod 777 and see if that helps. I’d probably do a long listing or a get info on a few files and see what their current settings are before doing that though, just so you have the information. If that doesn’t help, let us know (actually, let us know if it does help – I’m curious).