Jenkins and eggPlant

Reading the manual, eggPlant plugin for Jenkins, I assume this will install “eggPlant Functional” on Jenkins machine.
This means Jenkins is our SUT.

Would this then mean we have to install the VNC Server and the actual program to test on another machine?

Reading the manual, eggPlant plugin for Jenkins, I assume this will install “eggPlant Functional” on Jenkins machine.

No. The eggPlant plugin is just a Jenkins plugin. It doesn’t install eggPlant Functional. And you do not need to have eggPlant Functional installed on the Jenkins master machine – you can have it installed on a slave node.

This means Jenkins is our SUT.

Even if eggPlant Functional was installed on the Jenkins machine, that wouldn’t make the Jenkins machine the SUT. The SUT is the machine that eggPlant Functional connects to and run tests against, and it can almost never be the machine that eggPlant is installed on.

Would this then mean we have to install the VNC Server and the actual program to test on another machine?

Yes, you would need these elements on another machine. It would be a second machine if you chose to install eggPlant Functional on the Jenkins machine. It would be a third machine if you chose to put eggPlant Functional on a slave node. The application to be tested needs to be run on a separate machine (either physical or virtual) from the one running eggPlant Functional.

Sorry for the confusion…yes, SUT is not the Jenkins machine.
However our test program also reside on this machine.
If this plugin is not eggPlant Functional, then do we install eggPlant Functional on Jenkins machine as well?
Basically, everything is on one machine. (Jenkins machine)

And if you recommend slave node, is that another machine and if so, do I install eggPlant Functional on this machine?

I guess my main question is what do we install on the machine Jenkins is running on?
Can I make the Jenkins machine be both SUT “and” test machine?
What is the correct setup?

I guess my main question is what do we install on the machine Jenkins is running on?

Technically you don’t need to install anything. You can run eggPlant scripts from Jenkins without the plugin. The plugin primarily provides an interface to generate the command line calls to run eggPlant.

Can I make the Jenkins machine be both SUT “and” test machine?
What is the correct setup?

The only way that the Jenkins machine can be the SUT is if you’re running a VM on the Jenkins machine to be the SUT or if you run eggPlant on a slave node that connects back to the Jenkins master machine to run the test.

You can install eggPlant on the Jenkins machine and connect to another machine as the SUT (or as noted above, you can run a VM on the Jenkins machine to serve as the SUT). Note that wherever you put eggPlant Functional, you will also need a copy of the suite containing the scripts that you are going to run.