Here is my problem (from what I could see browsing the web it should not be a problem, but as I’m completely new to VNC, I may be getting something wrong):
I have a Macpro that I have bought so that a series of users (approx 10 of them) can run dataprocessing jobs on. For some reasons (mostly that the dataprocessing software is in Java), the only solution I have found is to have them connect with VNC.
I’ve downloaded Vine Server, I have created a special firewall exemption case for the ports 5900-5909 (I have also enabled Apple Remote Desktop because I could see on some forum that I should do that).
Now I run on a first account Vine Server and indeed I can connect to this account with Chicken on the VNC… fine
I’ve read that I can in fact run a VNC server on each user account by simply fast user switching on each account and starting VNC server. It works up to the third user (work in the sense that I can start the server, the port number is correctly implemented and a client can connect to it). As soon as I log in as the fourth user and launch Vine Server, the appearance of the Vine Server window becomes strange
- contrary to the first three instances, when the application starts, the server does not (eventhough Vine Server is configured to start the server at the application launch). The port/display number is correctly incremented though
- If I change something in the Vine Server configuration (such as the password), even though Vine server tells me I should stop and restart the server, the stop button does not become active ( it did for the previous three instances) and clicking on the restart button does not produce any obvious effect.
- Indeed when using Chicken of the VNC on the client mac I see the first three servers but not the fourth.
- Using the network utility on the host mac to see which ports are beeing listened to I indeed see the first three ports but not the fourth
- Using that same utility on a client mac to check the open ports of the host mac does not reveal the fourth port as well.
So It all seems like I am unable to have more that three VNC servers running on the same machine. Yet nowhere on the web have I seen such a limitation and looking through this forum convinced me such a limitation does not exist. What could I be doing wrong?
Thanks in advance.
PS: I have Vine Server 2.0, the host mac is an intel MacPro running 10.4.8