How to connect Windows XP via Vine Viewer on Mac OS X 10.4

I have read many posts describing how to connect to a Mac from a Windows machine, but I can’t find any answers for the reverse. I want to find out the steps needed to connect from my Mac (Dual 1.0ghz QuickSilver PowerMac G4 running OS X 10.4.11) to a Windows XP machine outside my local network.

Purpose? I am helping my parents minor and fix issues on their Windows XP (Dell) machine.

I own Vine Viewer and Server 2.1, 2.2 and just upgraded to 3.0. Currently I use Vine Viewer to access my Mac computers at work… an Xserve G4 and two iMac Intel’s (one is Core 2 Duo 2.16ghz white, from January 2007, and the other is Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz black/silver, from November 2007). This works perfectly for me and was pretty easy to setup…especially since my workplace already had a Static IP. It really saves me time when I can access the computers from my home office and even work in InDesign, Photoshop, etc. from home when I’m sick. :smiley:

How can I connect to my parents Windows XP machine from my Mac via Vine Viewer 3.0?? What VNC server do I need for XP, and are there any good free servers or do I need to pay for one? I’ve heard of TightVNC and I used to use RealVNC when I worked at Charter.

They have a router and cable modem connected to their Dell. I can easily setup port forwarding for VNC (5900-5909) on their PC, however, I wasn’t sure how to get around not having a “static IP” address on my parents computer? Is there a way to connect Vine Viewer to a PC with a dynamic address?

Please help! Thank you very much! :smiley:

We recommend the freely available TightVNC and UltraVNC although RealVNC will also work and has an older version available for free.

The procedures for setting up to connect to Windows are pretty much the same as you would do for a Mac.[list][]Setup port forwarding from the router to the PC.
Some routers support dynamic port forwarding but if not you can either use the dynamic address (as long as they leave the computer on they will stay with the same IP) or you can switch their computer to a static IP.
[
]Make sure the local firewall is allowing VNC traffic
[*]Connect using the external IP address of the network[/list:u]

[quote=“JonathanOSX”]We recommend the freely available TightVNC and UltraVNC although RealVNC will also work and has an older version available for free.

The procedures for setting up to connect to Windows are pretty much the same as you would do for a Mac.[list][]Setup port forwarding from the router to the PC.
Some routers support dynamic port forwarding but if not you can either use the dynamic address (as long as they leave the computer on they will stay with the same IP) or you can switch their computer to a static IP.
[
]Make sure the local firewall is allowing VNC traffic
[*]Connect using the external IP address of the network[/list:u][/quote]

Jonathan, thank you very much for your help. I will do as suggested and let you know if I run into any further problems. :slight_smile: