How many Vine Servers can run on one machine?

Hello,

here I am running a PowerMac-master-computer and a MacMini as music-server, all under MacOS 10.4.10. The controll of the music-server is done by Vine viewer and Vine server.

I installed one Vine system-server and two desktop-servers on the two user-accounts of the MacMini. The system server is necessary to start the MacMini-server, the desktop servers are necessary to make use of the copy-and-paste-tool. The fast-user-switching is activated and all user accounts are active.

Now to my problem: allthough all three vine-servers are runnung (seen on the activity-tool), one of three servers can not be connected (“Connection failed: Connection Timed Out - unable to connect to host”). The port numbers are 5900, 5902 and 5904.

It is not clear what server is not connectable. It depends on installation. Sometimes it is the system server, sometimes the desktop server.

Has somebody experienced the same effect?

goestr

In our labs we have Mac Minis configured with 4 accounts, 3 are run FUS
and one is the main account where either we run VMWare or Parallels. The other accounts are of course FUS Mac accounts. We don’t run Vine Server as a system service, but only as client servers for each FUS and the one main account.

That said, I have tried to install the main FUS as a service, and had little luck as you have with it. That said, we are going to visit this issue and try to narrow down and fix the problem. In the meantime, if you can, run only the Vine Server as a single instance as a System Service, or as FUS client side services. I don’t see another work around in the mean time that meets your needs immediately.

[quote=“Todd”]In our labs we have Mac Minis configured with 4 accounts, 3 are run FUS
and one is the main account where either we run VMWare or Parallels. The other accounts are of course FUS Mac accounts. We don’t run Vine Server as a system service, but only as client servers for each FUS and the one main account.

That said, I have tried to install the main FUS as a service, and had little luck as you have with it. That said, we are going to visit this issue and try to narrow down and fix the problem. In the meantime, if you can, run only the Vine Server as a single instance as a System Service, or as FUS client side services. I don’t see another work around in the mean time that meets your needs immediately.[/quote]

Hi Todd,
thanks for the fast reply! So I have to wait. My problem mainly occurs due to the fact that the MacMini is operated “headless”, so the start or reboot is critical.

goestr