Help removing VineServer from Lion

I could use some help – I don’t know much about mac admin issues.

I installed VineServer when I first got my mac, but never used it (used the built-in VNC instead). I actually forgot I installed it.

Now, after upgrading to Lion, I see errors in console. To be honest, these errors may have been there before. In any case, I want to completely uninstall VineServer, but the VineServer.app crashes on startup due to Lion incompatibility.

Sep 8 08:19:48 Mark-Masons-iMac OSXvnc-server[29425]: Failed to Bind Socket: Port 5900 may be in use by another VNC
Sep 8 08:19:48 Mark-Masons-iMac com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[193] (VineServer[29425]): Exited with code: 250
Sep 8 08:19:48 Mark-Masons-iMac com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[193] (VineServer): Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

I tried to remove VineServer manually by following the instructions in the FAQ, but I don’t have the right permissions to delete the files and run sudo.

This confuses me because this mac only has one account and it is admin.

I am trying to delete
/Library/StartupIems/Vine
/Library/ApplicationSupport/Vine
/Library/LaunchAgents/com.redstonesoftware.VineServer.plist

and trying to do this:
sudo launchctl unload /Library/LaunchAgents/com.redstonesoftware.VineServer.plist

I get permission complaints in both cases.

Can someone help me understand what I need to do to get root privs that will allow me to uninstall vineserver?

Thanks!
Mark

No, I had the exact problem you are having and it is because of lion.

You have to remove the file that starts it up at boot, but for the life of me I dont remember how I did it. I think it was through the terminal which is how you will need to get around the permission issues. There should be some tutorials on the web on how to use those commands.

We now have provided a beta version of Vine Server with support for Lion Mac OS X 10.7.

You can get that new version from our downloads page.

However, if you want to uninstall Vine Server after you’ve deleted it and are getting permission errors you will need to enable “adminstrator” access on your account in System Preferences before using sudo to remove the folders above.