Exit or end function call when throwing exception

Hi,

I’d like to know: is there anyway that I could end or exit the function call when throwing exception like scenario below.

script A.

function A1
try
run command 1
run command 2
run command 3
run command 4
catch
LogError “…”
end try
end function.

script B
try
[“scriptA” A1]
some other function called here.
catch
LogError
end try

For example, the script execute run command 2 and got error. Is there any function that I can put in the catch block so that it could end the [“scriptA” A1], function instead of continue execute run comand 3 and 4, then execute the next function call from script B.

I’m greately appreciated all of your input.

By the way, so sorry for my slumpsy english…:slight_smile:

Thanks,

Hi, Buffalo:

You almost answered your own question. The command that you’re looking for is “exit”. You specify a parameter telling it what to exit, as shown here:

exit handler // exits the current handler
//can also be executed as "exit on" or "exit function" as appropriate
exit [handlername] // same as exit handler
exit all // ends all script execution
exit repeat // ends a repeat loop and jumps to the next line of the script following the "end repeat"

I hope this is what you’re looking for.

Regards,
Matt

Hi,

I have main script which executes/calls the action script dynamically.I also have subscript which are called  by these action scripts to perform specific task.

The requirement is whenever a sub script fails it has to move on to the next action script.

Currently i use exit script or exit handler which exits only the sub script and not the action script.

I tried exit handlername like exit ActionScript but the sysntax seems to be wrong.

It will be helpful if you could provide a solution on the same.

I think instead of using exit in the subscripts, you’re going to have to have them return a value that you can examine and then exit the “action” script based on that return value. Putting a “return” statement in the script will immediately return control to the calling script, so it’s effectively the same as calling “exit” in the subscript.

I understand but if i do that way i will have to touch a lot of scripts.
So i am looking out for a solution like exiting directly from single subscript rather then touching all action scripts

Sorry, but those are your options. It’s a question of scope – you can exit the handler, the script, or the whole execution.

yeah fine,so wat is the command for exiting a specific handler.

Becuase exit ActionScript throws an error - is the syntax correct?

ActionScript is the variable which holds the action script name.

Well, you can’t exit a variable. You need SenseTalk to use the value of the variable, so you’ll need to pull out the “do” command:

do "exit" && ActionScript

Another approach that you might try would be to throw an exception in the subscript rather than trying to exit or return a value. Then you can use try/catch to catch the exception in the main script without having to change your action scripts.