Encrypting a Password

Hi Guys,

Im after some assistance.

I have a script that calls a password from a document located on the host and them uses typetext to input the password on the SUT. The connection type is via IPKVM (VNC).

code
put file “C\location…\password.txt” into myData
typetext myData

this makes the script generic for multiple users/passwords.

We need to reduce the visibility of the password from eggplant, but as the log performs the action, so does it log what it is typing, ie the password.

Is there any way that i can call the password and set it to typetext but hide the action from the log?

I have played about with the encode function but obviously it only types the encoded text onto the SUT, not the original password (as far as i can workout).

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

with the release of 17.1.0 we have added 2 new commands

EncodeText("text", "optionalKey")

TypeEncodedText "text", "optionalKey"

with these 2 commands you can type encoded text that does not go in the log file. You will have encode the text before and write the encoded information to the file

Hello, when i try the encode options, it does indeed encrypt the password on the log, but i have found it also types the encoded text onto the SUT, we need it to type the unencoded text onto the SUT but keep the password shown encoded on the log?

That way, we can show others the log without giving the password away.

Hopefully that makes sense

Another option would be to turn logging off for that particular step, which is what I’ve done with my scripts:

Set the scriptlogging to Silent
TypeText  password
Set the scriptlogging to On

This allows me to still have the password in my script or stored out on a file, but keeps it out of the logs.

Thanks James,

This was exactly what I wanted, worked brilliantly, now we have generic scripts that users can come and input there own creds with and then run.

Thanks.

You’re welcome, Dan. Glad I could help.

[quote=“James.Skala”]Another option would be to turn logging off for that particular step, which is what I’ve done with my scripts:

TypeText  password

This allows me to still have the password in my script or stored out on a file, but keeps it out of the logs.[/quote]

Thanks James. I am also searching for this functionality.

James.Skala wrote:
Another option would be to turn logging off for that particular step, which is what I’ve done with my scripts:

Code:
TypeText password

This allows me to still have the password in my script or stored out on a file, but keeps it out of the logs.

Yes, that’s good. But a safer way is to store the current setting in another variable first, and then use the variable to set it back:

put getoption (scriptlogging) into myLoggingSetting

TypeText  password 

set the scriptlogging to myLoggingSetting

The difference is that you don’t have to know the current setting. We assumed it was “on” in the example. But maybe it was “minimal”. Using this method, we don’t even have to know what it was.
I do this with every option I have to change. It’s a good way to keep things working as they are now. We like predictable results, right? :wink: