Copy/paste etc

Copy/Paste, check the scripts for errors before running, find in files

All of these requests are for the windows platform:

A consistent copy/paste behavior would be nice. It is quite frustrating to try to copy text from a script into an external program only to wind up pasting what I thought was the previous contents of the clipboard into the app. Additionally, pasting text from an external app into a script does not always work as I expect. The text I ‘copied’ from the other app is lost as far as eggPlant is concerned and some previous clipboard contents are pasted instead.

Also quite frustrating is to run a series of scripts only to have the test fail because of a typo I made several layers down that could have been detected by eggPlant at the beginning of the test rather than 15 minutes later.

A ‘find in files’ capability would be nice. For the moment I use TextPad to do my searches when I need to find something in multiple files.

Line numbers in the eggPlant windows would be nice as eggPlant is kind enough to tell me a script died on a particular line but doesn’t make it easy to find that line.

It would be very nice to be able to start another process directly from within eggPlant rather than have to create a batch file on the fly and then execute that batch file.

We apologize for the understandable frustration caused by that problem. Version 12.1 of eggPlant (released today) includes a bug fix that should make copying and pasting text between eggPlant and other applications on Windows much more reliable.

Also quite frustrating is to run a series of scripts only to have the test fail because of a typo I made several layers down that could have been detected by eggPlant at the beginning of the test rather than 15 minutes later.

This is a challenging problem to solve. The typo can’t easily be detected at the start of the run because of the dynamic nature of SenseTalk – it’s not known in advance what other scripts will be called during a run. One thing you can do that can help catch some typos when they are made is to turn on Continuous Colorization (Preferences -> Script -> Colorization -> Update colors continuously while typing). This will provide constant feedback about whether the current line of script being edited is at least syntactically valid.

There are also a couple of things we might be able to implement in the future to alleviate this problem, so we’ll add those to our feature request list.

A ‘find in files’ capability would be nice. For the moment I use TextPad to do my searches when I need to find something in multiple files.

The search field at the top left of a suite window is configurable (by clicking the magnifying glass icon), but will normally search through every script in a suite for your search term. If that isn’t sufficient for your needs, please tell us more specifically about what you are looking for.

Line numbers in the eggPlant windows would be nice as eggPlant is kind enough to tell me a script died on a particular line but doesn’t make it easy to find that line.

Adding line numbers to the script editor is on our to-do list for some future release. Meanwhile, when a script fails the alert panel that is shown includes a button that will highlight the line where the failure occurred, which should make it fairly easy.

It would be very nice to be able to start another process directly from within eggPlant rather than have to create a batch file on the fly and then execute that batch file.

Noted. Starting another process on Windows systems is not terribly convenient.

Thanks for your input! We always appreciate feedback from our users on how eggPlant can be improved.