Availability of Peripheral devices on SUT

Hello,

We have a use case that we are attempting to test a video connection on a SUT. This connection needs to at least “see” a camera and a microphone. We are not testing the use of these peripheral devices, but rather just that the connection is made.
With windows RDP application we are able to select local resources like a camera or microphone that the Virtual machine can access.
This does not seem to be an option with Eggplant Functional Connections. Is this correct? or is there a way to connect to the remote pc’s local resources on a SUT VM?

Thank you,

Hi Trent,
Sorry for the long delay between your post and this reply. Could you explain/unpack the statement that with Windows RDP you can select local resources (devices on the SUT) - can you describe a Use Case for selecting a peripheral, are you navigating to it through Device Manager or by some other route, and can you share the version of Windows that the SUT is running please?
Thanks

Hello, Thank you for the reply…

Hopefully this image comes through. But when connecting to another windows machine, virtual machine or otherwise, there are options to select local devices and resources.

This is not an option in Eggplant Connection settings that I am aware of.

The use case is a video call from a physician to a patient. In the testing, the scenario calls for testing that a microphone and camera are connected to the computer.
When connecting to a virtual machine SUT via Eggplant connections. There would not be any connected as no local resources are available.

I can test this manually when connecting to that same virtual machine SUT via Windows RDP and selecting local resource options.

Using Windows 11 Business as the local machine and a virtual machine SUT with Windows 11 pro installed

Thanks Trent - I’m just in the process of reproducing the Use Case you’ve helpfully described, because we may well have something similar - in our case with dental x-ray devices attached. This was a really useful heads up!

Trent the image didn’t come through but smaller ones might do? I’ll check…

In my own testing, I have been able to have a Win 10 machine as a SUT that passed me the video from an attached camera. What type of issues are either of you seeing? Is the camera or mike not showing as connected?

Thanks Dave! My own testing has been on hold since my last post due to my lead developer in this going on vacation for a couple of weeks but I was really hoping to have the answer before you asked this question. It would be super useful to have a smaller image from Trent’s testing because I can’t see why there would be a problem accessing peripheral devices that would be caused by RDP specifically. I’m going to be scanning documents in my test when my colleague comes back - nothing fancy, just a standard TWAIN driver for Windows 11 that is used during a patient administration session to handle a test result being saved as a document attached to a patient record.
Dave can you tell us a little more about the Use Case that you have tested with video please?

Thanks
Jerry

In my case, I needed to perform OCR against my Garmin watch. I plugged a Lenovo webcam into a USB-C port on the machine I used as my SUT. I launched the built-in Windows 10 Camera app, verified that it recognized the webcam, took a snapshot of the Garmin watch, and performed OCR against the snapshot.

Hope this helps,
Dave

1 Like