Any method in SenseTalk/EggPlant to compare two binary files

Hi

I have a problem in getting comparing two binary files ( PDF, JPEJ ,bmp etc.) in Egg Plant (3.0) . These files lies at some physical location . I have to verify whether these files match or not . If I get the variance factor then it will be a bonus for me.

You can use Eggplant to compare binary files, but keep in mind that SenseTalk can’t directly access files on the SUT unless the SUT’s file system is mounted locally across the network. If a remote filesystem is mounted on the Eggplant machine, then SenseTalk’s file access commands can be used to read remote files just as easily as files on the local Eggplant machine.

SenseTalk’s simple file access mechanism (accessing a file directly as a container) works well for text files but not so well for binary files. To compare binary files (assuming they are mounted on the local system) you’ll need to do something like this:

if binaryFilesAreEqual("/path/to/file1.jpg", "/path/to/file2.jpg") then
	put "Files are the same"
else
	put "Files are different"
end if

function binaryFilesAreEqual binary1, binary2
	set count1 to the size of file binary1
	set count2 to the size of file binary2
	if count1 is not count2 then
		return false -- files are different sizes
	end if
	open file binary1
	read count1 8-bit integers from file binary1 into list1
	close file binary1

open file binary2
	read count2 8-bit integers from file binary2 into list2
	close file binary2

if list1 = list2 then
		return true -- Files are the same
	else
		return false -- Files are different
	end if
end binaryFilesAreEqual

This isn’t a terribly fast approach, but if you like, you can expand this to examine the contents of list1 and list2 to see which bytes of the file are different.

For large files a more efficient approach would probably be to use the shell function to call the Unix command-line ‘diff’ tool to compare the files.