A couple Vine Viewer 1.1 issues

Hello,

First thank you for offering such a great VNC viewer tor Mac. Using Vine Viewer for the first time after years of COTVNC and VNCthing was like a breath of fresh air! :slight_smile:

There are a few annoying issues I see with Vine Viewer that I’d like to ask you about:

1. Vine Viewer 1.1 does not display all available Bonjour VNC servers consistently.

I usually have four or five VNC servers running on various machines on my network. But often Vine Viewer’s Connection List window does not display all of them.

For instance, in this screen shot, you can see that, while Bonjour Browser sees four machines advertising the RFB service, Vine Viewer sees only two of them:

http://jollyroger.kicks-ass.org/jollyroger/vineviewer1.1/Bonjour.png

I have tried setting General Preferences > Update connection availability to Manually, Once at startup, and Every minute, with no change in behavior. Also, choosing Connection > Check Availability does not change anything - it seems to only scan the servers that are already listed in the window.

The only way I know to remedy this seems to be to quit Vine Viewer and run it again, sometimes a couple times in a row, until it sees all the machines again.

2. There should be an option to “Save password” any time Vine Viewer asks for a password.

Currently, Vine Viewer will remember passwords only if you edit a connection in the Connection List window and supply a password. When you connect to a server without specifying a password in the connection editor, Vine Viewer displays a “Failed to connect to server” sheet asking for the password. But there is no “Save password” or “Save password in key chain” checkbox, which is an inconvenience.

Complicating things, it seems that intermittently, Vine Viewer forgets passwords for Bonjour servers even if you have edited the connection and set the password there! I have not been able to determine what causes this to happen yet. I am hoping someone else may have seen this behavior.

Finally, do you guys have any kind of normal time frame for when you release updates to Vine Viewer, or can you give us any kind of rough estimate of when we might see the next revision released?

Thanks again for your hard work. Vine Viewer is shaping up to be a great VNC viewer. I think with just a few tweaks here and there, it can be the undisputed best on the Mac!

Monoclast:

Thanks very much for the kind words and your bug reports.

We can confirm that Vine Viewer 1.1 sometimes misses available Bonjour servers. We believe we have that fixed for our upcoming release of Vine.

I think your suggestions about passwords in Vine Viewer is a great one, we’ll add it to the development plan. We can also confirm the occasional failure to store passwords for Bonjour servers - that has also been fixed.

We have a collection of changes already in place and plan to do a release soon, hopefully next month and then hopefully with more regularity than between 1.1 and 1.2.

[quote=“JonathanOSX”]Monoclast:

Thanks very much for the kind words and your bug reports.

We can confirm that Vine Viewer 1.1 sometimes misses available Bonjour servers. We believe we have that fixed for our upcoming release of Vine.[/quote]

Terrific! :smiley:

Great - thanks so much for listening, and for confirming I am not insane regarding forgotten Bonjour passwords! :wink:

This is terrific news! :slight_smile: I am very much looking forward to the next release, then!

Thank you for your lightning-fast response as well. You have made me a happy customer. :smiley: