[quote=“JonathanOSX”]This is a very interesting problem. I wonder if you could test the same scenario but remove SSH from the equation.
There is some logging happening on the Client side (it is going to the system Console).
You might also try completely removing the /Library/StartupItem/OSXvnc folder and then reconfiguring your System Server from the GUI.[/quote]
I’ve been working on this for the past few hours. Basically it seems that remote management of a system is just plain screwy when you involve fast user switching (FUS).
I tried your suggestion of deleting the files in /Library/StartupItem/OSXvnc and restarting from the GUI. This doesn’t do anything to help.
I removed SSH from the equation but FUS still causes problems (not the same ones mind you). Remember, I need to be able to login to the remote machine with one user, switch users and retain control of the machine. The remote display should mirror what I see via VineViewer.
Please see snapshot 1 and [url=http://tinyurl.com/ws77e]snapshot 2. Snapshot one was taken with SSH and after FUS (note tearing). Snapshot 2 was taken w/o SSH and just after FUS (you can see it stalled out on the screen). Both snapshots should show mirrored screens. Both have their own problems.
I’d love to help out on this but I’m not really sure where to go from here. Everything was working earlier this week, but now not for love nor money can I switch users and retain control as if I were at the keyboard.
Usage here is: Mom logged in from keyboard. I attach to the system session which is showing her screen, I need to run some admin tasks so i FUS to my account (should be mirroring now, but either tears or doesn’t even allow me to see it (see snapshots)). I’d like to be able to run the admin tasks then fast user switch back to her account and be able to run her through some teaching or troubleshooting.
I have several questions,
- can you force “single user mode” w/ FUS when run in via system startup?
- what are the commands for remote startup and management of VineServer, assuming i won’t have a GUI and can’t get to the console to login to my account. This needs to assume there are no hands near a keyboard to start up VineServer in usermode.
- Do you have any other suggestions or workarounds to help solve this problem?
Other problems I’ve noticed while investigating are:
- when vine viewer quits after setting up an SSH connection it sometimes fails to release the local port (eg 5951).
- Vine Viewer sometimes needs to be restarted in order to connect after failure. Sometimes this doesn’t even help and the server needs to be restarted (see Q2 above).
Do you have a Bug tracking system? I’d file these and more as bugs…
[edited to reverse screenshots. They were in the wrong order]