Vine Server and Leopard

someting new? (like a beta or so)

We are getting very close to an open beta for Vine Server 3.0; the best way to be notified is to stay watching this forum topic.

Hi

I was wondering how this fix was going along. I’ve had a few instances where not being able to log in from the login window at start up have been an issue (after updates and such).

Thanks!! :smiley:

Until Vine Server is updated for Leopard and can access the login
screen, I’ve come up with a workaround.

Simply use Leopard’s own VNC server, also known as “Screen Sharing”,
to do a login. This is accessed via “System Preferences”>“Sharing” and
selecting “Screen Sharing”, being sure to enable VNC viewing with
a password via “Computer Settings”.

Yes, Apple’s VNC server is slow and doesn’t support 8-bit mode
(so make sure your viewer doesn’t use it) and not as configurable
as Vine Server, but at least it lets you log in. Once logged in,
Vine Server can start up on its own (be sure not to use Apple VNC
Server’s port 5900), and you can disable “Screen Sharing” and
go on as normal.

This is quite useful if you need to reboot your Mac remotely. Before
you do enable “Screen Sharing”, reboot, login in remotely using
Apple’s server, start up Vine Server, then disable “Screen Sharing”.

I’m looking forward to a single source solution, though.

Vine 3.0 Public Beta is out – please see this topic for download link and notes:

http://www.redstonesoftware.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=867

My Vine Viewer 2.0 license key does not work with this beta. Should it?

D’oh!

Here is a trial key for Vine Viewer 3.0 Beta:

Key: i7e9-pdjt-lan0-u9m4-oxt4-g
Valid Until: 19-December-2007

Thanks Jonathan. That trial key worked for me (sort of…see below).

I really like the changes that have been made in the Vine Server. It feels much more polished.

I’ve found what seem to be three bugs. Two in Vine Viewer and one in Vine Server (both running under Leopard). I’m not sure if this is the best place to report it but I figure it can’t hurt.

Vine Viewer:

I’m able to connect to several VNC servers on Windows machines but I am not able to connect to my wife’s MacBook (running the default Apple Remote Desktop server set to accept VNC passwords). It worked fine in Vine Viewer 2 but when I try to connect with v3 beta I get this error:

Connection failed: Apple Remote Desktop is not configured. Please configure it so VNC viewers may control the screen. (There don’t seem to be any error messages logged in the console.)

I can connect to her MacBook fine using the “share screen” function from within the Finder as well as with JollyFastVNC and Chicken of the VNC.

In addition, each time I start Vine Viewer 3 Beta I get a “Licenses Are All In Use” despite using the license key you posted. I have to re-add the license key each time I open the program.

Vine Server:

For some reason when running in user mode (not as a system service) version 3 of the Vine Server does not obey the “hide” checkbox when set to start on login. Each time I login, the server starts but is not hidden.

This is the perfect place for bug reports and a heartfelt THANK-YOU!

The licensing thing is a bug and believe it or not we’ve already fixed it.

I’ll find the ARD config problem – I think I know what is causing that.

I also know what’s causing the not hiding when auto-started, it’s an artifact of the bug fix for Leopard wanting to bring up an icon for the underlying server. Time for a counter-bug-fix-fix, /sigh – I think there is an argument I can detect for the auto-hide.

Keep’em coming and we’ll keep fixing!

Am I being really dense? I can’t seem to get VineServer 3 in Leopard to behave like VineServer 2 used to in Tiger.
I am trying to launch the server at the loginwindow (no logged in user). I understand that Leopard now has an additional layer of security build into it to prevent this from happening with certain apps, but I thought that one of the big features of Vine Server 3 was that it was supposed to be able to be launched from the loginwindow? I have tried launching in the traditional sense:

/Applications/VineServer.app/OSXvnc-server -rfbport 5902

and also via launchd

launchctl bsexec 58 /Applications/VineServer.app/OSXvnc-server -rfbport 5902

where 58 was the pid of the loginwindow.

Both result in error:

Untrusted apps are not allowed to connect to or launch Window Server before login.

Am I doing something obviously wrong?

Thanks

Stu

Vine Server 3.0 definitely supports this.

To get it configured properly my suggestion is to use the Vine Server.app GUI, go to Server -> System Server… Configure and hit “Start System Server”. To have it behave properly you need all the right tags in your LaunchD configuration.

I’m not sure, but I may also be having a problem with System Server
getting the login window. I haven’t been able to test it because
Leopard has a bug that seems to prevent the wireless link from
coming up properly after reboot without logging in. However,
I do have a system server configured via the Preferences, and
here are some messages in the system log.

Dec 18 07:38:10 myhost OSXvnc-server[113]: Using Private Event Source
Dec 18 07:38:10 myhost OSXvnc-server[113]: 3891612: connectAndCheck) Untrusted apps are not allowed to connect to or launch Window Server before login.
Dec 18 07:38:10 myhost OSXvnc-server[113]: Window Server is not available.
Dec 18 07:38:10 myhost OSXvnc-server[113]: No Event Source – Using 10.3 API
Dec 18 07:38:10 myhost OSXvnc-server[113]: Window Server is not available.
Dec 18 07:38:10 myhost OSXvnc-server[113]: Using Dynamic Event Tap – HID for console user
Dec 18 07:38:10 myhost OSXvnc-server[113]: CGSCreateEventSourceState: cannot resolve shmem.
Dec 18 07:38:10 myhost OSXvnc-server[113]: Registering Bonjour Service(_rfb._tcp.) - myhost.mydomain
Dec 18 07:38:12 myhost loginwindow[33]: Login Window Started Security Agent
Dec 18 07:38:10 myhost OSXvnc-server[113]: IPv6: Started Listener Thread on port 5902

The connectAndCheck message in response to registering an Event Source seems to be an Apple oddness, because later when we request screen buffer information we no longer get the warning and are indeed able to connect to the window server.

If, after connecting you get that same error then there is a problem – but I think if you manage to make a network connect on port 5902 you will find that it’s all registered and working.

When I add Vine Server.app to user Login Items, it starts fine (both GUI app and daemon) when I log in. However, if I check the Hide checkbox on Login items, only the GUI app starts and the daemon does not run.

I have Vine Server in login items on my account and have System Server running on port (screen) 0 and desktop server from my account running on port 1. I then do the same for another account, but its desktop server is configured for port 2. However, when I login into that second account (while also being logged into the first account), I see on console that the Vine Server app for the second account in addition to starting desktop server on port 2 also tries to start system server on port 0 - it keeps quitting and relaunching in 10secs endlessly. The Vine Server app should have per user settings (check boxes) for both desktop and system server and only one user on the system should have the System server enabled. Or maybe a separate GUI app is needed for system server and launching Vine Server ap would only control desktop server. Otherwise it works great, I can access my desktop remotely while another person uses the computer. The only problem is with sound - when I empty trash, etc, remotely, the sound is played for the user who is sitting in front of the computer.

Regarding the problem with System Server on account #2. If you are on 10.5, the system server should launch but should halt during the startup process (Because of the -SystemServer flag). Please send your log to support@redstonesoftware.com so we can look at why it’s not stopping.

That is interesting about the sound notifications, we hadn’t noticed that problem at all; we’ll see if there would be a simple way to correct that.

Since installing Vine Server 3, each time I restart my Leopard based MacBook I am prompted by the firewall about whether I would like OSXvnc-server to allow incoming connections. I always click “Allow” but I am continually prompted upon login.

The funny thing is that I am able to connect to the server from a remote computer even before answering the prompt about allowing incoming connections.

Anyone else seeing this?

Yeah, we are seeing it here too – I think that’s just how it works. But maybe Apple will fix it.

Did this ever get solved … I see exactly the same behavior. I need to use User mode and “Start on login” as I’m on 10.4.11 and clipboard services is critical … with the hide checkbox ticked (under login items) the server fails to actually start.

Happy to provide logs etc if not fixed

cheers,
chris

PS. V3 is great otherwise. Really nice improvements and lots of fixes.

The doesn’t launch on “auto-hide” is fixed for an upcoming maintenance release of Vine Server.