Vine or OSXvnc - Multi-user not working

I have tried to implement a multi-user vnc server setup as per - http://www.redstonesoftware.com/products/vine/multidesktop.html

I have multiple (fast switching enabled) users created on the mac and have tried to run either OSXvnc v.1.6 or VineServer v.2.1 with numerous static ports and unique display names etc. I have disabled ARD and I cannot get more than 2 instances of vncserver to run simultaneously.
There is nothing else running on ports 5900-5910.

I have tried the same setup variations on both an Xserve 10.4.2 (the intended vnc server) and my G4 Powerbook laptop running 10.4.4.

I need to achieve 4 or 5 seperate vnc viewer displays so that my client users can run 1 or 2 browsers.

Trying to run more than 2 instances of OSXvnc server crashes the third instance when trying to open it regardless of which user it is.

Mac OS X Version 10.4.2 (Build 8C47)
2006-12-07 02:26:26 -0800
2006-12-07 02:26:27.113 SystemUIServer[11402] lang is:en
2006-12-07 02:26:38.220 OSXvnc[11407] An uncaught exception was raised
2006-12-07 02:26:38.220 OSXvnc[11407] *** -[NSCFDictionary setObject:forKey:]: attempt to insert nil value
2006-12-07 02:26:38.220 OSXvnc[11407] *** Uncaught exception: *** -[NSCFDictionary setObject:forKey:]: attempt to insert nil value
Dec 7 02:26:38 tagprod8 crashdump[11408]: OSXvnc crashed
Dec 7 02:26:38 tagprod8 crashdump[11408]: crash report written to: /Library/Logs/CrashReporter/OSXvnc.crash.log

Trying to run VineServer2.1 in the same way does not crash but the third instance of the server will change the display/port settings of the initial VNCserver instance???

I have read a post here of somebody running perhaps 12 displays using this software so I must have some config wrong - please help.

kind regards

We have identified that in some scenarios it is necessary to have each user have a private copy of the Vine Server Application in order for this scenario to work.

We hope to fix that in the next release but for now just have each user make a copy of the application in his home directory.

Thanks Jonathon - this is working fine now.

It should be noted that you must create these users using the systemprefs:account tab so that they have a local folder structure.

My first attempt (doh!) was tried using users created in the servers Workgroup Manager app with no home folder and this obviously does not work cos the copied app does not have the correct group:owner settings for each user and also because you need the user to have their own desktop folder really!

Anyway thanks for the speedy posted reply much appreciated.

Now all I need to do is be able to lower the screen colours using COTVNC cos its sssssllllllllooooowwww as anything! (at least the Real VNC PC users will be ok :frowning: !) or should I be using Vine viewer on osx :slight_smile:

kind regards