Some interesting questions?

Where can I find help / answers for the following topics:

• how to import and use external libraries in eggplant (if at all import is possible)
  • can I integrate a Test Case Management tool with eggplant
  • does eggplant support third party tools?
  • how to generate data dynamically ?

:? :x

I surely cannot. Until the real gurus arrive, consider putting yourself into the machine, EP can be your eyes and fingers…and with clever thinking on your side, it can make some complex choices.

I used eggplant as a front end to another software product that operated a hardware product, too the results, manipulated the files and uploaded them to an FTP server. Had I had enough time, I would have eventually had it burning cd’s and ordering pizzas.

Crank up the imagination engine and have a look at the sensetalk examples on the forum. EP offers excellent control of the machine, you have to decide how to plug it into the things you want it to do.

As a quick example, you can have EP look at your test case management tools, grab data from it via the clipboard, then act on that data for a series of tests.

I had written the beginnings of a script that would generate new test cases based on software crashes, so those little buggers would be caught of they snuck back in during later development. Once you have EP generating test case scripts and integrating them into your suites, judgment day can’t be too far ahead…:slight_smile:

In short…almost anything is possible…explore-expand-exploit are the words of the day.

more pointed questions result in much sharper answers around here.

• how to import and use external libraries in eggplant (if at all import is possible)
    Eggplant doesn’t currently have direct library integration at this time. However we will be releasing an SDK to current customers very shortly (please contact your sales rep if you are interested in joining the Beta). In the meantime, you can integrate using the shell command or by interacting with a web service using the url features. Please refer to the SenseTalk reference manual for more info.
  • can I integrate a Test Case Management tool with eggplant
    You can initiate Eggplant scripts using any sort of remote shell ability (RSH, SSH, telnet, etc). It’s also possible to setup to call them from a CGI/Web interaction but that requires some configuration.

Eggplant results are stored as text files on the system that could be accessed using just about any file sharing you can imagine (FTP, SMB, AFP, NFS, etc.). Scripts can also post results to websites or send emails.

• does eggplant support third party tools?
    Well, beyond the above notes keep in mind that any machine that can run a VNC server can be acted on by Eggplant. It doesn’t have to be the test machine. We’ve had customers use Eggplant to perform all kinds of interesting integrations (auto generating licenses, tying together support process , etc).
  • how to generate data dynamically ?
    Do you truly mean generate data or operate with a variable set of data for an operation? Generating could be done using the random() function or lookups in a table – for a good example of a test driven by a data file please view this example.