select differnt SUT automatically from Eggplant machine

Hi

I am new to the Forum. First, I would like to thank the forum and moderators for their efforts.

Please let me know if any of you are aware of answers to the following questions.

1. Is it possible to switch to different SUT in the LAN automatically with the script from Egplant machine? If so how.

2. Is it possible to select different OS on “PC - same SUT” automatically with the script. If so how.

(My requirement is to do the same steps like firing jobs from MS Excel across all the operating systems (95/98/Me/NT/2000/XPHome/XP Prof )

1. I would like to write same script for achiving the requirement mentioned above. Are there any basic things/settings etc I need to follow for using the same script across all the operating systems?

I would like to propose this tool Eggplant to my client for automation if the above mentioned points are achievable.

Thank you for your time.
Hope reply

Yes, the connect command can do it, something like this:

connect serverID:"myFavoriteSUT", portNum:5902

Replace “myFavoriteSUT” with either the name or the IP address of the SUT you want to connect to, and supply the correct port number (and password if needed). See the documentation of the connect command in the Eggplant Reference Manual (on page 158 of the current manual) for additional options.

[quote=“tajaybabu”]2. Is it possible to select different OS on “PC - same SUT” automatically with the script. If so how.

(My requirement is to do the same steps like firing jobs from MS Excel across all the operating systems (95/98/Me/NT/2000/XPHome/XP Prof )
[/quote]
This is more difficult. You can write a script that will reboot the SUT and wait for it to become available again before proceeding. But to script rebooting into a different operating system may be somewhat tricky. Ideally you will want to use a utility program that allows you to select the boot partition or OS prior to rebooting.

If you can’t find such a utility, then you may have to select the OS at boot time. Eggplant can do this, but because the VNC server on the SUT is not up and running at boot time, this requires a hardware KVM device that supports VNC. The AdderLink IP is one such device that we’ve worked with.

You can use the same script for performing your tests on multiple operating systems by moving any images or functionality that is unique to a particular OS into an OS-specific suite. The basic procedure for doing this is described in the Using Eggplant manual in the section titled “Scripting for Localization and Multiple Operating Systems” (p. 48).

Following this procedure, you will create a master suite that contains your common scripts and any images that are identical across all platforms. Then, for each OS platform you are testing, you will create an additional suite containing all of the images that are specific to that platform, as well as any scripts needed to perform actions that vary from one OS to another.

Hi SenseTalkDoug,
Thank you very much for your reply.
I will analyze and reply you back.
Regards,
Ajay