Redhat Linux TIG

Has anyone succeeded at generating a working TIG in Linux. If so, would you mind sharing the source code?

Thanks,
John.

Okay, sounds like I’ve got to roll my own.

I’ve read the “Writing a TIG” tutorial, but I’ve still got some questions:
[list=1][]I presume based on the write-up that the connection to the TIG is TCP, is that correct?
[
]Can you post an example input and the expected response for something simple like: (Text:“HI”, TextFont: “Helvetica”, TextSize: “10”)? (You can use any platform to generate this, I just want to see how the request/response looks.)
[]I presume that when the users specify a text style as an operation within EP that, EP will still send the full set of parameters, not just the style name, correct?
[
]The documentation also implies that the request can have properties other than what is in the standard Text Property List, is that correct? Does that mean that if I need to pass some extra info to my TIG, I am able to via this mechanism?
[/list:o]

Thanks,
John.

[list][quote=“meisjohn”][*]I presume based on the write-up that the connection to the TIG is TCP, is that correct?[/quote]
Yes, Eggplant will open a standard TCP socket for communication with the TIG.

[*]Can you post an example input and the expected response for something simple like: (Text:“HI”, TextFont: “Helvetica”, TextSize: “10”)? (You can use any platform to generate this, I just want to see how the request/response looks.)

To see the data that is sent to a TIG, give this command in a terminal window:

defaults write Eggplant TIGDebugFile YES

Then launch Eggplant and make a single request to the Windows TIG (or any External TIG). The actual request data will be written to the file “/tmp/TextTransmission.xml” before it is sent to the TIG. The only difference between the data in that file and the actual transmission is that the transmission is followed by a single character 0x4 (EOT) which is not included in the file.

There is no similar debug mechanism in place for the response. If you have problems once your TIG is written, the best choice may be to contact support and let us work with you.

[*]I presume that when the users specify a text style as an operation within EP that, EP will still send the full set of parameters, not just the style name, correct?

That’s correct. Eggplant will provide all of the properties for the given style.

[*]The documentation also implies that the request can have properties other than what is in the standard Text Property List, is that correct? Does that mean that if I need to pass some extra info to my TIG, I am able to via this mechanism?
[/list:u]

Yes, exactly. In addition to the properties for the current style, all of the properties given in the Text Property List will be passed along to the TIG. So if your TIG needs additional information or offers custom options this provides a way to get that information to the TIG.

Just one more question, I assume that the strings are sent in UTF-8 encoding, is that correct?

Yes, everything should be in UTF-8. Good luck!

I’ve got my TIG connected with EP and they are talking with each other nicely, but now I have an issue being able to find the generated images on the screen.

Is there any way I can use the Image Doctor to evaluate my generated images, or can i specify a Tolerance or Discrepancy option to make EP a little more forgiving?

Also, i noticed that even though i turned caching off EP is still sorting the TextImage. Is that expected?

You can certainly specify a tolerance or discrepancy setting if you like, either in the original text property list in your script, or even in the properties returned by the TIG in the header of the response.

The Image Doctor currently only works with captured images, not those generated by a TIG. But if your image is cached you could then manually copy it into your images folder and use the Doctor on it from there.

So, if my command is currently:

click(Text: "Hello World", TextFont:"Courier", TextColor:"black", TextBackgroundColor:"white") 

I would just change it to:

click(Text: "Hello World", TextFont:"Courier", TextColor:"black", TextBackgroundColor:"white", Discrepancy:"5%" ) 

correct?

Do i need to send that back in the property overrides list from the TIG too, or is one or the other enough?

I already figured out the trick with moving the images to get the doctor to work.

Yes, that’s correct. Eggplant keeps all of the properties in the text property list, and adds in any that are returned by the TIG, so either one will do it. If a property is specified in both places, the value from the TIG will override the one in the property list.