Panther issues with Vine Server version 3

Hello,

Like the subject says, I’m having issues with Vine Server version 3

On my Panther computer i turned off ARD and started up VSv3

I click the “start server” button and i get the following error:

2008-06-20 02:08:56 -0700 Starting Vine Server 3.0(1016)
-rfbport 0 -desktop Bulma (ss2cire) -rfbnoauth -protocol 3.3 -restartonuserswitch N -UnicodeKeyboard 0 -keyboardLoading N -pressModsForKeys N -EventTap 3 -swapButtons -rendezvous Y

2008-06-20 02:08:57.146 OSXvnc-server[3892] Arguments: -rfbport 0 -desktop Bulma (ss2cire) -rfbnoauth -protocol 3.3 -restartonuserswitch N -UnicodeKeyboard 0 -keyboardLoading N -pressModsForKeys N -EventTap 3 -swapButtons -rendezvous Y
2008-06-20 02:08:57.147 OSXvnc-server[3892] Warning: No Auth specified, running with no password protection
2008-06-20 02:08:57.148 OSXvnc-server[3892] Forcing: RFB 003.003
2008-06-20 02:08:57.224 OSXvnc-server[3892] Main Bundle: /Users/ss2cire/Desktop/Vine Server.app/Contents/Resources
2008-06-20 02:08:57.290 OSXvnc-server[3892] Loading Bundle /Users/ss2cire/Desktop/Vine Server.app/Contents/Resources/TigerBundle.bundle
2008-06-20 02:08:57.308 OSXvnc-server[3892] Loading Bundle /Users/ss2cire/Desktop/Vine Server.app/Contents/Resources/JaguarBundle.bundle
2008-06-20 02:08:57.333 OSXvnc-server[3892] Running in Big Endian
2008-06-20 02:08:57.349 OSXvnc-server[3892] Using Private Event Source
dyld: /Users/ss2cire/Desktop/Vine Server.app/Contents/Resources/OSXvnc-server Undefined symbols:
/Users/ss2cire/Desktop/Vine Server.app/Contents/Resources/TigerBundle.bundle/Contents/MacOS/TigerBundle undefined reference to _CGEventSourceCreate expected to be defined in ApplicationServices

It seems to be trying to use some stuff from Tiger, which I have no idea why… anyway, any and all help would be much appreciated.

Regards and Thanks in advance,

ss2cire

Yes, it’s a bug in that it’s trying to load that bundle (when it shouldn’t). You can use the finder and “Show Package Contents”, go to /Contents/Resources and just delete (or change the extension name) of Tiger.bundle.

It’s also just fixed in the Beta build available here:

http://www.redstonesoftware.com/Downloads/VineServer3.1Beta.dmg

Thanks for the help on that one, I have another issue here.

the beta crashes on startup… so i just removed the bundle extension like you suggested.

But now, I can’t get it to startup on login, the app launches (as i added it to the startup items) and the server just doesn’t startup, the system server says it’s on but I can’t connect to it using any software (CotVNC, JollyFastVNC, Screen Sharing.app [OS X Leopard])

are there any suggestions or fixes for this?

Thanks in advance,

ss2cire

Definitely not seeing that problem here. Are you sure you are actually getting through network stuff and hitting the Vine Server? (And that Vine Server is running).

hmm, yeah afaik it’s working, it gets on the internet just fine, it’s in the same subnet etc

the server starts up fine if i manually click the button, what I mean is it doesn’t start automatically on login when the app opens.

thanks in advance,

ss2cire

I presume you’ve got the “Start server when Vine Server application is launched” checkbox checked on the Startup pane of Vine Server Preferences. That corresponds to a default value of startServerOnLaunch. You can check that this value is actually being set by giving this command in a Terminal window:

defaults read com.redstonesoftware.VineServer startServerOnLaunch

It should show a value of 1, indicating that option is on. If this is the case, the Vine Server application should be attempting to start the server process whenever you launch the application. Check the log (Server -> View Log on the Vine Server menu) after launching and see if it gives any indication of why the server didn’t start.

It seems odd that it won’t start automatically but will start just fine when you click the Start Server button.