OSXVnc to show Loginwindow screens after logouts

Thanks for the great software and support.

I need to demo Mac software that does things across logouts and logins. I’m using PC/Windows and livemeeting with Windows VNC client to connect to a Mac with OSXVnc.

I can have fast user switching on but I need to be able to log out the current user (who might be a remotely authenticated user, not a locally authenticated user) and still have the VNC Client show the login window with the blank fields for username and password.

Current when I log out the current user it seems the connection to the VNC client dies. Is there a way to keep this connection alive? Do I need to have root launch OSXvnc and use root as the VNC client initial connection to OSxvnc?

Thanks for any advice.

Regards,

-Keith

You will need to have OSXvnc running as a Startup Item. You can do this by:
[list]Launching the OSXvnc Application
I recommend then stopping the server if one is running
Configure the settings the way you want them(Password,Port,Screen Name…)
Go to the Startup tab and hit Configure Startup Item.
You will then be asked to authenticate as a privileged user.
It should then say “Startup Item Configured (Started)”
[/list:u]Now you can quit your GUI and that VNC session will always be around and will always show the “Console Screen”, basically the primary display attached to the computer.

Thanks very much for the quick response.

I just what you said and yes I can see the Mac’s ‘login window’ at initial boot with my VNC client and can log in but when I then go to the fast user switching menu, choose another user, get the loginwindow and enter the user name and password, the VNC client reports the connection is dropped. Is there any way to get the full experience as if you were actually in front of the monitor and keyboard of the mac with OSXvnc loaded on it regardless of switching users logging users in and out, etc?

Thanks again.

-Keith

We can only get close. Because of the way MacOS X tracks its user processes it MUST kill the OSXvnc server; but it should be replaced by a new one within about 5 seconds.

Then you can connect back to that. Many VNC servers will give you a choice to reconnect (or do so automatically); but some don’t and so you’ll have to choose to reconnect on your own. We would like to solve this in a future release but it requires some significant re-architecting of the OSXvnc server.