OSXvnc running at startup

Im sure im just being pretty stupid here, but I cant get OSXvnc to run on boot (accessible from the login screen).

It works fine with OSXvnc running and in the dock. Ive tried clicking the “Configure Startup Item”, and then rebooting, but it still wont work.

Ive read the instructions on doing it manuallu, but im a bit of an OSX newbie and dont understand them.

Im accessing the Mac from an XP maching using RealVNC. I get a timeout message when I try to connect before the Mac is logged in.

Any suggestions?

(btw - i got a DEBUG error when posting this, might wanna check on ur forum)

It sounds like you might be running the built in Firewall in OSX.

If you don’t see anything in the OSXvnc log (which should be in /var/log/osxvnc.log) then your network isn’t allowing the connection. The most likely cause of this is that your MaxOS X machine is running the built-in firewall. You can configure the firewall to allow port 5900 (or whichever port VNC is running on). Using the System Preferences application go to Sharing and then Firewall. On that panel, “Add…” another service for port 5900 and call it VNC.

I am having the same problem and I have OSX’s firewall stopped. Here is what is happening:

On OSXvnc I click on 'Configure Startup Item" and it gives the message ‘startup Item Configured (Started)’ as expected.

If I remain logged in to OSX I can connect to my mac using realVNC on windows XP as soon as I log out I can no longer connect using realVNC.

If I go back to my mac directly and log in, open OSXvnc I have to ‘Configure Startup Item’ again.

If I restart the mac and don’t login, I can connect through vnc and login to the mac through vnc, but If I logout OSXvnc no longer stays active as a startup Item.

I am using 10.3.9 and the mac is connected to a windows active directory, if that matters

Ok, it seems to only affect the 1.7 version of OSXvnc. I installed the 1.6.1 version and everything works as expected.

I can log in, log out, restart, whatever, and still vnc into the mac.

Something with the logout process shutdown 1.7’s startupItem.

Yes the 1.7 startup script doesn’t reliably restart OSXvnc.

We expect to have a patch out shortly.

Awesome - I anxiously await the patch as I’m having the same issues — at least I think I am. :slight_smile:

If I try to restart from the command line, I’m getting an odd error, though…

Emerald:/Library/StartupItems/OSXvnc admin$ /Applications/OSXvnc.app/osxvnc-server
2006-01-20 10:30:28.578 osxvnc-server[26212] Arguments:
2006-01-20 10:30:28.579 osxvnc-server[26212] Note: No password file specified, running with no authentication
2006-01-20 10:30:28.758 osxvnc-server[26212] Main Bundle: /Applications/OSXvnc.app
2006-01-20 10:30:28.763 osxvnc-server[26212] Loading Bundle /Applications/OSXvnc.app/Contents/Resources/JaguarBundle.bundle
2006-01-20 10:30:28.809 osxvnc-server[26212] Keyboard Loading - Disabled
2006-01-20 10:30:28.810 osxvnc-server[26212] Press Modifiers For Character - Disabled
kCGErrorRangeCheck : Window Server communications from outside of session allowed for root and console user only
2006-01-20 10:30:28.850 osxvnc-server[26212] screen format not supported. exiting.

Troy:

That particulare error means that you are launching VNC when you aren’t the logged in user. In that scenario you need to launch it as root (or the same user who is logged in at the screen of the computer).

Thanks! (And sorry for the slightly off topic post.)

Is this because at the console, the logged in user was root (at the GUI login screen), and I was logged in w/ admin?

Troy