Need info regarding Eggplant

I am planning to use eggplant and don’t have complete knowledge of it so please pardon me if the question is too basic. .

1. I have doubt regarding Record and Play functioning of eggplant. Is it object based, i mean does it store the database of GUI objects like button , checkboxes…and its properties in a file, something similar to winrunner?? Is this object’s co-ordinate property based???

2. I am bit confused when i went through the eggplant website, where it says it learns the image, what does it mean??

3. Does it use proprietary scripting language?? How easy is it to script on our own, instead of relying on capture and play option??

please help me in getting answers for these questions…i have to make a decision based on these…

1. I have doubt regarding Record and Play functioning of eggplant. Is it object based, i mean does it store the database of GUI objects like button , checkboxes…and its properties in a file, something similar to winrunner?? Is this object’s co-ordinate property based???

No, Eggplant is not object based. Instead, it uses images of elements on the screen and looks for them in the same way that a person does. This is the fundamental characteristic of Eggplant that allows it to automate any application on any system, unlike object-based systems which are limited by their dependence on needing a mechanism to communicate directly with objects inside the application under test.

Eggplant is not coordinate based, although you can use screen coordinates or relative coordinates when it makes things more convenient.

1. I am bit confused when i went through the eggplant website, where it says it learns the image, what does it mean??

Because Eggplant searches for things visually on the screen of the system under test, the usual way to generate a script is to capture images of the elements that Eggplant will be interacting with.

For example, to generate a script to click on a button, you would capture an image of what the button looks like on the screen. When the script runs, Eggplant will search the screen to find the button based on the image that was captured, and click on it.

1. Does it use proprietary scripting language?? How easy is it to script on our own, instead of relying on capture and play option??

The SenseTalk language used by Eggplant is a very readable, English-like language that most people find easy to learn and understand. It is a full-featured language with the capabilities to do pretty much anything that you need in a script.

Most people start with simple captured scripts when they are first learning Eggplant, then find themselves using a combination of capture and hand scripting as they progress.