Multithreading request, version 2

Is there a thought to add multi-threading support to SenseTalk scripting?

It would be very nice to be able to start a lengthy file copy/move operation across the network in one thread while unzipping and comparing files in other threads.

I am sure this would be very useful in other situations also. I just haven’t encountered them yet.

It’s an interesting idea and one that we’ve looked into a bit. One issue is that our licensing model is based on the execution stream – if you want to run multiple tests against multiple SUTs we’re happy to have you do that but you must purchase a separate license for each concurrent stream of execution.

So, to allow multiple threads in a script without breaking this model, we would need to either:

(a) require an additional execution license for each thread, or
(b) limit what background threads can do (such as not allowing operations on the SUT except in the main thread)

It sounds like approach (b) might work okay for what you’re thinking of. I would be interested to hear what others think – would multiple threads be useful? In what scenarios? Would either of these suggested approaches be of interest?