This appears to be a bug and can be fairly easily be reproduced (it happens more often than not) using the method and, perhaps necessarily, the systems as detailed below.
VNC Server: Vine System Server 3.0 only (not ?Desktop? one) with no variation from the default preferences.
Client Computer: Mac mini Intel Core Duo running 10.4.11 and connected to an Apple 23? Cinema Display at full resolution.
Server Computer: Mac mini Intel Core 2 Duo running 10.4.11 and connected to an Apple 20? Cinema Display at full resolution.
VNC Clients: Vine Viewer 3.0 + Chicken Of The VNC 2.0b3
Network: AirPort Express LAN with fixed IP addresses.
- Boot the server computer and await the appearance of the Login Window
- Connect to the server computer via the client computer using a VNC viewer
- Log into a Standard account
- Fast Switch to an Admin account - the connection drops
- Connect - the Standard account is redisplayed whilst the Admin account is shown (via the menu bar Name selector) as logged in
- Log out - the connection drops
- Connect - the Admin account is presented (i.e. it’s logged in) whilst the Standard account is, as expected, shown as logged out
- Log out - the screen goes blank (i.e. pale blue) as it would just prior to displaying the Login Window and there it stays ? i.e. hung.
I would have expected step 5 to show the Admin account desktop ? something which happens on the rare occasions this doesn?t fail as shown - something CotV always does when it’s working with the VNC feature provided with the Apple Remote Desktop (ARD) service. When I remotely access a computer I want control as if I was sat in front of it as with the latter configuration - though independant logins via the Desktop Server are a boon.
a. The connections after the first are automatic with Vine Viewer 3.0 ? one of a number of reasons why I?ll be buying it.
b. The problem also arises when the client and server computers are swapped over ? no surprise there.
c. I don’t know if the mix of Standard and Admin accounts is relevant - it simply being the case that’s what I have on my systems.
I?ve also got a G4 Mac mini running 10.4.11 - as has my mum - and I managed to hang hers with a not dissimilar procedure. So, it’s both a PPC and an Intel machine problem.
If this is a bug ? and I?m fairly sure it is ? it?s rather nasty and needs nailing sooner rather than later. Whatever the case clarification that using the System Server should be like using CotV with ARD(+VNC) would be appreciated.