Keyword driven tests

Only found Data driven threads here, but can anyone suggest the most efficient method to create Keyword driven scripts from Excel test steps?
Reading/writing from/to an Excel file is no problem but I wondered if I should initially write it to a CSV file before parsing that to invoke pre-developed functions based on keywords.
I eventually need to allow testers with minimal programming/scripting knowledge to create automated Functional test scripts.

You could do it with Excel, but eggPlant has table-driven testing built in. You should look at that before going the Excel route – it provides more functionality than you will get with Excel for this task.

Thanks for getting back Matt.
I should have explained that I’m working on a project that’s been “live” for a couple of years with test cases written in Excel so I still need to automate these test steps.

I eventually need to allow testers with minimal programming/scripting knowledge to create automated Functional test scripts.

This is the part of your original query that shouts eggPlant tables, because that’s what they’re designed for. It will allow you to parameterize your scripts and build up tests easily from existing scripts in a way that an Excel file just won’t.

As for your existing test definitions, v17 has provided built-in support for reading Excel files. It’s still a little bit more work than reading a csv file, but after you’ve done it a couple of times, you’ll have no problem with it. If you have specific questions, I’d recommend moving this discussion over to email via the TestPlant support address.