Getting target test machine's system info

Hi guys,
I want to get my target test machine’s system information (processor, video card, and operating system) for logging purpose. Is there any commands that I can use to perform that? What are the possible approaches that I can go? Thanks in advance

I’ve been poking around on a PC (my awesome powers of deduction tell me that that is the platform you are testing), and aside from the static text in Properties panel for My Computer, I can’t locate this information anywhere, can you?

Given this limited knowledge on my part, one of my only suggestions would be to capture an image of this panel at the start of your script.

If you can tell me of another location where these details are available, we might be able to get a little closer to your goal.

Your deduction power is really awesome :mrgreen:

From Start->Run, type in . This will bring up a DirectX Diagnostic Tool which provides a very comprehensive system info detail. In addition to this display, you can select “Save all information” for the details to be saved as a txt file. (hmm…wonder if this will make it easier for Eggplant. ) Hope this info is useful to you. Thanks again

You might want to start out by creating a script that defines a TestSystem object and declares a set of properties corresponding to the details of the remote system that you want record. Then create a script that does the DxDiag thing and save out the text file. Script the opening of the file and then a select all and a copy.

Now call remoteClipboard to get the file text into Eggplant and do:

repeat with each line of sysDetails

and write some code that looks for the Property names in your TestSystem object; if the name of a property is found in the line, extract the value from the line and assign it to the property.

We can help you work out the details if this outline is too vague.

-Matt

thanks for the info. I will try it out. Thanks

i manage to get all the data extraction and clipboard stuff working. However, i am having some problems using the created objects and its handlers. I can’t really find a good example that shows everything as a package i.e. from creating a helper/factory objects, to using it. does anyone have any e.g on this? also, when do we decide to use a factory object and when to use a helper object? thanks again

Glad to hear you got so far with my rather inadequate instructions. In truth, the creation of objects is one aspect of SenseTalk that I’m not as well versed in as I would like to be, which is one reason I wasn’t more specific in my last post (the other reason being it was almost 1:00 in the morning :slight_smile: ). Actually, this is really the first time that I’ve seen how creating such an object would be useful in a testing scenario (although I know some of our users have done a lot with them).

I’ll see if I can get our Sensetalk expert (and author) to post on this topic. BTW, I believe he has beefed up this section of the SenseTalk Reference manual for our upcoming Eggplant 1.5 release (which has some features I think everyone will appreciate).

This is great news. Hope to hear from your Sensetalk expert soon.

Sorry to be so slow to respond here – I’ve been working on an example which should be wrapped up soon and may help illustrate these points (and, yes, the documentation is significantly improved in this area for the 1.5 release).

Regarding factory objects and helpers, it works out rather nicely, I think: When you create an object from a “factory” object, the new object is created (by default) with the factory as a helper. So really, there is not a lot of difference. A factory object can do other things if it wants, but in the simple case all it does is become a helper to the new object.

I hope that helps, and I’ll try to get the example put up soon.

glad you response in time as I was about to indicate the long waiting time :mrgreen: just joking… :lol:

thanks for the info but i still dont exactly get the whole idea behind, esp. when I am a C++ programmer…trying to find the relationship between a factory object, a helper object and the concept of CLASS in OO. However, not to worry, i should be able to figure it out once i see the entire example of how you create a factory object, a helper object and making use of these. :smiley:

Will be waiting patiently … again…for the example :lol:

Okay, the FileDispenser example has been posted in the Eggplant Examples forum. In addition to a useful example object, it includes some discussion of factory objects and helpers that I hope you’ll find helpful.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Doug