File transfer between OS X 10.4 and 10.3

I’m having trouble copying files from a OSX 10.4.8 machine running Vine Viewer 1.0 to a 10.3.9 machine running Vine Server 2.0. I’m wondering if I’ve missed something in the doc.

If I select a file (a PDF, for example) on the Viewer machine then use the Finder ‘Copy’ command, then click on the remote machine window in Viewer the remote machine’s Edit menu never shows the ‘Paste Item’ command. I also never see the drop down sheet about ‘Sending clipboard data’.

File transfer from 10.4.8 to a machine running Vine Server 2.0 on 10.4.8 seems to work. Rich text transfer seems to work from 10.4.8 to 10.3.9, and file transfer from 10.3.9 (Vine Server) to 10.4.8 (Vine Viewer) seems to work, too.

Anybody else having trouble with this?

We verified that the copy paste functionality works on 10.2, 10.3, and 10.4 so it should be working for you.

First off, just to be sure. You must be connecting to a Vine Server 2.0 on the 10.3 machine AND it must be running as a desktop server application (not a System Server that is set to start at boot time).

If you’ve verified the above then I would recommend using the “View Log” button to open your log prior to starting the copy on your Viewer machine and see if you get some a log indicating updated pasteboard data is available. We would be happy to look at that log for your.

Thanks, Jonathan.

Yes, the Vine 2.0 server s running as a desktop application on the remote machine.

I noticed that if I issue a ‘Show Clipboard’ command on the 10.3.9 remote machine I can get the ‘Sending Clipboard Data’ sheet to appear, but the ‘Paste item’ command still doesn’t appear once the transfer is finished; it’s still the plain ‘Paste’ command in the Edit menu.

If you’ve verified the above then I would recommend using the “View Log” button to open your log prior to starting the copy on your Viewer machine and see if you get some a log indicating updated pasteboard data is available. We would be happy to look at that log for your.

I have log segments from both a remote 10.4.8 server aand a remote 10.3.9 server; the transfer to 10.4 worked, and the transfer to 10.3 didn’t. Would you like me to post the log segments here, or send them to you directly?

I can also move the 10.3.9 server from my LAN to a WAN connection (outside my DMZ) if that’d help pin down the problem.

Thanks, Jack

Thanks Jack

Go ahead and send those logs to the support email here at redstonesoftware.com. No need to move the network computers location, as long as you have a VNC connection between the two I’m sure that the networking side of it is all working.

Just sent you a TextWranger file with the log segments. And moving the machine would simply mean changing its IP address. Not a problem if it’ll help. :slight_smile:

Thanks, Jack

Thanks for your help. I just wanted to verify that we’ve identified some problems with copying files between different versions of Mac OS X (it turns out the clipboard information is not the same on 10.3 and 10.4 when copying files). This will be fixed in a forthcoming release of Vine.