I’ve started using VNC to connect my Mac to an office PC. I can establish a plain VNC connection without problem, yet when I try to do the same connection over SSH, I get an error message. This is the setup:
ON THE PC:
- copSSH is installed and I’ve confirmed that sshd is running
- TightVNC server is configured on port 5900 and running
- sshd, the TightVNC server, and ports 22 and 5900 are open within the PC’s software firewall and forwarded on the router
ON MY MAC:
- Vine Viewer is installed
- I have an item in the Connection List that includes server, port, password, display name, and color depth.
- ports 22 and 5900 are open in my firewall and forwarded on my router.
When I click the Connect button to connect to this server, it works great. The viewer opens up to the host PC quickly and smoothly. However, when I try to connect securely (entering an account name on the PC, that account’s login password, and the SSH host), I get the error message:
“Failed to connect to __________. Connection failed: Authentication Failure - Local loop-back connections are disabled.” (Instead of ______ it does show the actual server address.)
Using Terminal on OS X, I can enter the command:
ssh -L 5900:127.0.0.1:5900 Office@server-address
replacing server-address with the actual address, I can establish a SSH fine and run commands at the command line without problem. However, I’d prefer to run Vine Viewer over a secure shell, so can anyone suggest where the problem is?