Can EggPlant work with one system??

Hi All,

I am totally new to EggPlant Automation Tool. I have a query regarding installation process of Eggplant software.

As far as i am concerned Eggplant is a tool that requires two systems i.e. one system wherein this software will get installed and other system where SUT resides and the whole sofware interacts through VNC connection.

But my concern is i have got only one system. Is it possible for me install the software and VNC on the same system where SUT resides and test the SUT. I mean to say that can my system work both as client and server or i have to get 2 systems in place to make Eggplant work.

This doubt arises only because VNC connection is mandatory for Eggplant to interact with SUT.

Kindly help me out whether it is possible or i need to have explicitly 2 different systems to carry out testing.

Regards
Gyan

eggPlant always requires a VNC connection, and that connection has to be to another user session. The other user session can take 3 primary forms:
[list=1][]A second physical computer.
[
]A virtual machine running either on the same computer that is running eggPlant or on some other machine on the network. The VNC server can be running natively within the VM or some VM applications provide a built-in VNC server that generally works as well.
[*]A second, off-screen user session on the same computer eggPlant is running on. On the Mac, this second user session can be launched via Fast User Switching and set to launch a VNC server. On Linux, it will be an XSession, and you can configure the system to automatically create a new session when a VNC connection is initiated.[/list:o]

My work around is to have two displays on my windows machine. When I connect to the vnc server the eggplant window goes into an infinite loop replicating itself. When I drag Eggplant to the second window everything works OK.

It was painstaking at first to figure it out. Follow these steps.

Instructions to Ste-Up a 1 Machine System.

1. Install VirtualBox.
  2. Create a Virtual Machine. (look at VirtualBox’ instructions).
  3. Install the OS with an image. (also look for tutorial or instructions).
  4. Make sure your new virtual machine is powered off, go to settings, network, and select bridged-port. This will make your virtual machine have its own ipv4Address.

5 a). If you have Windows installed in your guest/virtual machine then the connection you will have to use in eggplant is DRP. Go to your network settings of your guest OS and make sure you enable for it to be controlled remotely.

5 b) If you are using a MAC OS in your guest/virtual machine then download VNC server in the guest machine and download VNC Viewer on your host machine.

Last tips:
Using the Host Name on Eggplant is tricky. Use the ip address of your virtual machine instead. In windows… you can do that with the cmd prompt, then ipconfig /all. Running the cmd prompt from your host machine to validate the guest OS’ ip address will not work. It will give you a different ip that will not work.

6 a) When connecting to a Windows OS guest machine on Eggplant: select the DRP option NOT VNC.
6 b) when connecting to a MAC OS on guest machine use VNC. You probably need to update the network configuration to allow remote control as well…

Cheers and Good luck!