Added second Tiger mac, Leopard erratic

I’ve added a second Mac running Tiger, and both ARD and Vine servers are working fine, but the Leopard iMac has some erratic problem, as http://192.168.0.x:5900 isn’t resolving from either of the other 2 Tigers connecting to Leopard.

Network or something on the Leopard running in the background causing it to be blocked?

Yes, it sounds like a network problem. Check the firewall settings on the Leopard machine, and make sure the VNC ports you’re using are open. The firewall itself is under Security, and if it is restricting access you can configure individual services under Sharing. Try the Screen Sharing and Remote Management settings. Under Tiger it was easy to open a range of ports, but I don’t see how to do that on Leopard…

And of course check that your router is allowing traffic on the VNC ports as well.

(Sorry, didn’t mean to open a new topic)

Yes, exactly right. Its the firewall in Leopard. I can open the ports up using WaterRoof, and it connects immediately, Tiger to Tiger to Leopard to Tiger to Tiger, in every possible sequence.

But I can’t figure out how to make the Leopard ports open permanently, it resets on every restart. But its definitely the firewall in Leopard. And there are two now. One’s an app the other the old ipfw. But I’ll have to dig around to see how to do it.

Thanks a lot.

One last question, can I use the http:remoteIP:port/ address in a browser to bug shoot a remote connection in the same way as for a local address? Or is there some other way?

I had left a folder from an old test of Open Door’s Doorstop in the startup items folder, which were overwriting whatever I had written in WaterRoof. deleted it and reset the rules and now its permanent.

Inch by inch.

Thanks.

Glad to hear you’re making progress!

Yes, you can use the http://remoteIP:port in a browser to access a remote system as well as a local one. That’s just a quick and simple way to try accessing a particular port on a particular machine, and see what comes back.

The “RFB 003.008” that you see is just the VNC server’s way of saying hello by announcing the protocol version number that it supports. When a VNC client connects to it, of course it sends similar information back to the server and they begin a dialog that results in a VNC connection being established. In a browser, it’s a quick way to confirm that you’re connected across the network and have reached a VNC server.

That’s great, thanks. Monday I’ll try to crack the remoteIP problem. At work whatsmyip returned an ip looking like 88.178.x.xxx, but their Netgear modem contained a static IP looking like 25.x.x.x (that’s in addition to their local DHCP served network nos: 192.168.x.x)

Do you know if that would be some type of internal “bridge”? The people who rent the office space do so to a number of companies, who probably split their network into different “zones”. What would be the syntax for addressing a computer in such a situation? Something like “88.178.x.xxx,25.x.x.x:5900” ? Comma delimited or slash / ?

Obviously I’ll have to talk to the building’s IT guys, but they’re usually a little difficult to communicate with. Any pointers to a search on Google which would help?