Process for end users to pass files to EPM?

Hi Everyone,

I’m just generally curious how other organizations are approaching scenarios like this. If you have an EPM job waiting on data (in my case, new excel files) from end users, what’s your process for end users to “hand off” to Eggplant?

As an example, I have a group of end users who want to be able to “hand off” a file to Eggplant, and have Eggplant perform some steps for them. Fortunately they don’t need it in real time, so I can set this up as a nightly job.

The solution I’ve come up with (perhaps not the best) is for users to place the files in a shared drive. Then EPM checks the directory for new content, and performs steps if so. That said I suspect there are more direct / efficient solutions.

Here’s a more granular breakdown of my example scenario / solution:

1. End user drops a new excel file to a shared drive.
  2. At midnight (or whenever), EPM navigates to the directory.
  3. If EPM finds new excel file (or files), it moves them to a directory on the agent C: drive. (Not as an EPF Resource, but a distinct directory, which I’ll elaborate on in a sec).
  4. EPM the time this job is done, the original directory is empty.
  5. EPM opens any excel files in the local directory.
  6. EPM performs the actual workflow steps. As it does so, it writes some status-related updates to the excel file (pass, fail, etc).
  7. EPM sends an email with the file attached to the end user.
  8. EPM purges that C: drive directory.

One challenge with this approach is that some of our end users might not have access to a given shared drive. I could use our Box.com account, but one challenge there is that our end users would need to know how to upload a file, etc.

Anyway just curious what you’re doing or if you have any suggestions. I will likely start work on this in the next few days so if you read this down the road and want my script as foundation, I’m happy to share.

Cheers,
Dan

Hi Dan,

a couple of users/customers share the same issues/challenges related to your described scenario, thereof the key question we figured out (from customer perspective) was: How to be able to stay very flexible in execution of specific test scenarios without the need of getting (permanent) too often into deep (script adjustments)? – realized solution approach: manage “all the often changing test scenario relevant parameters (like directory path, files, file formats etc) outside EP Functional in a database with an easy-to-use web-interface.

You can manage all scenario parameters in the Web Frontend and via API “behind the curtain” (no need to technically understand the details from a simple user perspective) yours scripts can run with the parameters you have set via Web-Frontend (PS: you can spent your time in creating test scenarios, starting test execution and primary doing test result analysis, with no need of being able to think and act as a (nerd) developer;-)

Finally: And this works vice versa, too. Your test result (per test scenario) will be stored for later retrieval, compliance requirements (e.g. like GxP requirements of healthcare regulators), auditing etc. as PDF with log-files etc.

If you want to share further information, sent a short DM.

Regards,
Robin

Thanks Robin! I agree that a web interface would be optimal for end user interaction. Due to resource constraints I’m unable to explore this solution at the moment, but I’m this will change in the future; I would love to discuss further at that time.

Hello Dan,
glad you like the approach of a web frontend.
If your time allows it again, you are welcome to get in touch, also via DM.

Regards
Robin