[eggPlant Functional] Scripting through a SUT restart

The code below demonstrates the method for scripting through the restart of a Windows system; you’d do something similar for other operating systems.

-- store the current connection information to use as the argument to the connect command later
put connectionInfo() into myConnection
-- do restart here
repeat while connectionInfo().connected is "true"
	-- make sure the connection has been closed by the remote system
	wait 1
end repeat
-- now try to reconnect
repeat while connectionInfo().connected is "false"
	try
		connect myConnection
		-- make sure the machine has really restarted
		-- the vnc server seems to spring back to life momentarily during shutdown
		RefreshScreen
		if not imageFound("StartMenu")
			disconnect
			next repeat
		end if
	catch
		wait 5.0
	end try
end repeat

The Windows OS presented a complication that required a couple of workarounds. The VNC server was running as a service and it seemed to persist into part of the shutdown process. So the connection would be dropped initially, but a reconnect could be made briefly while the machine was shutting down. So to ensure that a successful connection had taken place after the restart, I had to add a visual confirmation that the Start menu was displayed. If it is not, I assume that I’ve reconnected during the shut down, force a disconnect, and return to the beginning of the repeat loop.

When I copied and pasted this into a script, it did not understand the word “is” next to False. (Although it did understand it next to “true”.)

When I pasted it as Plain Text, and hit Tab, everything worked. :?:

Can anyone else reproduce that?

There was a stray character in that line – I’ve removed it and you should be able to do a direct copy/paste and have it work. Thanks for mentioning that.

tried this code out, and it didn’t work.
It looks like ConnectionInfo is empty after a Connect fails, so the test for false fails.

Changed the code as follows:

repeat while connectionInfo().connected is “false”

to

repeat while connectionInfo().connected is not “true”

This behavior was apparently changed at some point in the 8 years since this code was originally posted. It had worked in 2009 and for some time after that. Your fix works, so I guess just go with that.