Can't connect to Vine Server when no one is logged in

Hello,

I am unable to connect to the Vine Server when no one is logged in on Lion.

I followed the instructions in the Vine Server manual at http://www.testplant.com/documentation/Vine%20Server.pdf to set up a System Server.

I enabled the System Server and all is well while I am logged in as a user. But as soon as I log out, I am no longer able to control my Lion system remotely.

Does this work for anyone? If so, what is the procedure for accessing the login console via Vine Server on Lion?

Thanks,

Bill

First, are you using the 4.0 Beta Server? That is definitely needed for Lion.

Second, after logging out it can take a while (up to 60 seconds) for the server to re-establish and allow VNC access again. If you didn’t wait a while please try now.

Hello,

Yes, I am using 4.0 Beta Server. And yes I have waited a lot longer than 60 seconds without success. It does not work for me. What could I try/check?

Thanks!

Bill[/quote]

Hello,

After much experimentation with the System Server (from 4.0 Beta Vine Server) on Lion, I found that access to the window console is allowed only after someone “physically” logs in to Lion.

If a user never physically logs in to the window console, then the System Server will never start which means that remote control access is disabled.

Another issue is that a power cycle of the Mac will disable starting the System Server. The System Server will start running only after someone physically logs in to the window console.

The requirement that a user must first physically login to the window console is a major short-coming of the System Server.

Is this going to be fixed or is that the way that it is going to be?

Thanks,

Bill

Hello,

I had the same experience. There seems to be a bug when the Mac (Mac OS X Lion) is on the Login Screen. The remote mac will try to connect and initially it seems to be responding but it will keep trying to refresh and showing the message “reconnecting” (I am using the Snow Leopard built-in screen sharing and redirecting to a custom port). If someone logged in to the machine everything just works.

The beta is not working on the Login screen.